Method Community

Third party developer

Last post 08-29-2012 12:21 PM by Method_David. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-14-2012 7:54 PM

Third party developer

Hi everyone,

I am looking into having a third party developer create an app for me using API.

Question is, how do I set him up so he can access my account to start the process? Do I need to create a user for him?

How is this typically done?

Thanks

Bryan

Bryan Hand
    Owner
    Hand Crafted Pool Care, Inc.
  • 08-15-2012 9:08 AM In reply to

Re: Third party developer

Hi Bryan,

It really depends on who will be accessing/using your app....remember for every API call a valid account, login, and password is required.

Personally, I would recommend creating a new user, that way the work of any of your existing users will not be disrupted since only 1 person at a time can be logged in as a specific user.

The key thing that is needed is for any valid user to be able to access the API is in Step 8 of the user set up. You need to make sure 'This user is allowed to connect to Method API' is checked.

Dave

• 08-15-2012 3:18 PM In reply to

Thanks Dave,

my only concern is security and permissions for the developer. I saw that in step 8 but when I tested it using his login i created, he wasn't able to access it.

I guess I should just give him full access for everything?

Bryan

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 08-16-2012 10:49 AM In reply to

Hi Bryan,

In step 1 of creating a user, do you have 'Login is Active 'checked. Also can this account sign into method normally?

Dave

• 08-23-2012 8:44 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

yes, I have him active. I am adding him as an additional user since I have never worked with this developer before.

I guess I should ask, do you guys have any preferred developers that can create an iphone or ipad app?

Thanks

Bryan

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 08-24-2012 5:14 PM In reply to

Hi Bryan,

Check out http://www.methodintegration.com/Consultants.aspx and filter by api developers. I'm not aware of anyone of anyone that has built an iphone/pad specific app (yet).

Dave

• 08-27-2012 9:00 AM In reply to

Hi Mark,

thank you for that link, however, that is where I first started. I found a company through my wireless provider that basically does digital forms on wireless devices, yet they also have a way to sync the data on the back end using API. I'm hopeful they can make it work. WIll et you know.

Regarding the login for my developer, what is the best way for me to give him API access, yet not allow him access to see my customer private info (credit card, address, etc.)

Thanks for the help,

Bryan

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 08-29-2012 12:21 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Bryan,

In step 8 of setting up a user, you can grant/allow access to tables for the user. Then they can only see the data in the allowed tables

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)