Method Community

Total Balance

Last post 08-25-2012 5:23 PM by nick_warren. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-16-2012 1:53 AM

Total Balance

Hi Guys,

For some reason, when I query Method for a total balance, I’m getting a different result (and wrong) of the actual balance I see within Method.

I believe a screenshot is worth a thousand words as they say - so please see attached two screenshots. One of the transactions screen for a certain customer and the other the XML result for

the same customer.

Please zoom in with the browser to see the amounts. Thanks!

• 08-16-2012 10:37 AM In reply to

Re: Total Balance

Hi nick_warren,

You're comparing two different things. Total balance is from the customer table. It is not on the screen you are using. The field Balance is what we display. It is on the screen as 'Current Balance'

Depending on your sync settings and whenever your last sync was, method may not have all the transactions listed for a customer.

Dave

• 08-16-2012 10:55 AM In reply to

Dave, I do not really understand your answer. Something is definitely wrong here. 

The “Transactions” tab is located INSIDE the customer’s window – but that is beside the point. The total balance in QuickBooks for the customer in question is $761.28 – as shown on the screen shot.

When I trigger the query on the same Customer table through Method – I only get the $150. I ran the query right after I synced with QuickBooks. You can also see all the transactions were “posted”.

The “Total Balance” field is simply displaying an incorrect value.  Even If I would trigger it without Syncing QuickBooks it should still show the $761.28 and not the $150.00.

Nick

• 08-16-2012 11:11 AM In reply to

Nick_Warren,

The transactions tab shows data from the transactions table, not the customer table. To see how this was accomplished I suggest you look into the design of the screen and the underlying table of that grid. There is a summary column there for the balance column of the transactions grid (i.e. the balance column of the transactions table)

The field 'total balance' from the table customer is not displayed on the screen.

Dave

• 08-16-2012 1:24 PM In reply to

Dave,

Thank you for your response.

First, I would appreciate if you could guide me on how to query this "balance" column in the transactions table. I do not see any "transactions" table inside Method.

Second, what bothers me is the fact that the customer's balance in QuickBooks is showing $761 (Just like the Transations summary) and the result of the query only shows $150.

QuickBooks is SYNCED and all trnsactions are posted. Can you maybe check this out specifically on our account? I can email you the RecordID of the customer so you can run the query and see for yourself.

Nick

• 08-16-2012 2:26 PM In reply to

Ok, I found the transaction table - was looking at the wrong place.

I'm still awaiting your response on the balance issue though.

Thanks,

Nick

• 08-16-2012 2:42 PM In reply to

Hi Nick

I'll add my 2 cents here.  I've found it very helpful to use the import/export tool from inside method to study the data that is inside a method table.

Using this technique in combination with reports from QuickBooks I've been able to get a clear understanding of all the database relationships involved.

BTW: The import/export uses the API to get at the data.

HTH

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 08-16-2012 2:48 PM In reply to

Hi Nick

I just took a closer look at your screen shot.  Where are your sales transactions associated the payment receipts?

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.

What is Method?
  • 08-16-2012 3:28 PM In reply to

There are non at this point. Its a payment only and its applied on the customer in question. Please see the screen shot from QuickBooks as well. There is NO invoice here, just a sales order and two "Payments". These payments appear in Method under Transactions. 

Again, quering the customer (Job in this case) in question only shows the $150.00. If I query the Top level Customer I see the $618 and not the $150. As you can see from both QuickBooks and the previous screenshot from Method, both transactions are applied on the JOB, so basically the balance should be the same for both the Job and the Customer. 

• 08-16-2012 4:22 PM In reply to

Nick

I think I ran into a problem with this before.  To make sense of this you can you export the customer table and include the fields Balance, TotalBalance, FullName, and ParentFullName?

This might shed some light.

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

What is Method?
  • 08-16-2012 5:03 PM In reply to

I already did - the Exported file reflects the exact thing I get from the API. As you said, the file is generated through the API, so its not a suprise.

The transactions are applied on that specific Job - there is no doubt about it as QuickBooks is showing it. Method is simply showing something else. I cannot explain it. I was hoping someone from Method would check it out, but it looks like Dave gave up :(

Nick

• 08-16-2012 7:40 PM In reply to

Hi nick_warren and lacrews,

For the record, no one at method ever gives up on a client and their forum questions....but the sad fact of the matter is sometimes we have other things to do that delay when we reply to a forum post.

I am currently working on trying to reproduce this issue you are reporting.

In the meantime, Nick_warren can you confirm following:

1. The method RecordID of the customer you are querying is correct (The fastest way is just to pull all customers and verify the recordid is correct)

2. Do you have multiple records in the customer table for this customer?

3. On the Customer and contacts list....what is the balance in the grid for this customer?

4. On the Edit Customer page...what is the value of current balance?

Dave

• 08-17-2012 8:42 AM In reply to

David,

I ran the query again today. Seems like the query returns the correct amounts now. As we did not change ANYTHING on our side and simply ran the query, I can only assume one of two things:

1) You guys changed something on your end.

2) Updating the balance of a customer requires a "Full Sync", which probably happened overnight. Is this true?

• 08-17-2012 8:56 AM In reply to

I just confirmed it - The balance in Method only updates after a Full Sync. 

1) Is there an override for this?

2) It makes no sense :) Here is the process:

• I issue a refund in Method
    • Method syncs QuickBooks
    • QuickBooks updates the Balance record and shows the correct balance.
    • Method still shows the OLD balance.
    • Issuing a Full sync updates Method to the correct balance.

Dave - is this correct?

• 08-24-2012 5:19 PM In reply to

Hi nick_warren,

Sorry about the delay, it's been a busy week.

The API can only access data in your method account. In the scenario discussed above. After method syncs the refund to quickbooks, quickbooks updates a balance record. Method does not know this. The only way it can know about the change in quickbooks is if a sync from quickbooks back to method happens.

That's why after the full sync method has the correct data. You've told the sync engine to pass all quickbooks changes back to method

Dave

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >