Method Community

Attach Document to Email

Last post 08-17-2015 3:37 PM by aaronjwood. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-03-2012 3:10 PM

Attach Document to Email

I am trying to attach a document from the document library to an email, but I must be missing something. (And probably a simple something. :) )

How do I get a FileAttachment location into an Action Result so that I can attach it to the email?

I tried to Retrieve from Table the "Document" File Attachment field and using that as the "Attachment Location" but that did not work.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 10-03-2012 4:27 PM In reply to

Re: Attach Document to Email

vdefabis:
    Help is greatly appreciated.

Hi vdefabis,

I customized this solution on my own account not too long ago - let me review my specific actions to pull the document location and I'll post up a reply.  I know one limitation is your document needs to be uploaded to Method and not SmartVault.  

~C

• 10-03-2012 4:37 PM In reply to

Thanks Chad! The documents are uploaded to Method.

• 10-04-2012 9:06 AM In reply to

Answer

To make this work correctly you'll need to load the document on screen first before sending the email.  Please let me know if you have any questions on my instructions here - starting from Customize > Screens:

1. Build a new screen from the DocumentLibrary table.
    2. Edit your new screen and drag out a grid object.  The fields required for the grid are: Document and Name.  You'll also need to add a Select link.
    3. Drag the document field to your sceen - this will preview the file you're about to send.
    4. Add a button which you'll use to send the email (the action to send doesn't need to be a button).
    5. On the button add an action to Send Email and in the attachement location use Value From Screen: Document

The trick you need to be aware of here is that you first need to select the document to load it to the screen.  Once that document loads a physical path to the file is available on our server and can then be used to attach to an email.  There is no path to the file stored prior to clicking select so you will need to do this before sending the email.
    Try this out and let me know if you run into any trouble or need any steps above explained better.
    ~C
  • 08-17-2015 3:37 PM In reply to

Is there any way to attach multiple files (such as estimates) to a single email using a method similar to this?

--Aaron

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)