Method Community

help customizing invoice

Last post 04-01-2013 3:18 PM by Method_Adam. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2012 4:38 PM

help customizing invoice

For my invoices I only need Item, Description, and Amount.  I see where if I click on the little star I can hide the columns I don't need.  However, the amount calculate off of quanity and rate.  How can I make this work so I onlly have the 3 columns I need, I can manually enter the amount, and then when I click update with will total it for me?

Thanks, Shaun

• 11-19-2012 4:40 PM In reply to

Re: help customizing invoice

When I manually enter in the amount and click update, it goes to 0.00

• 11-20-2012 8:40 AM In reply to

Answer

swm023:

For my invoices I only need Item, Description, and Amount.

Hi Shaun,

What you can do is hide the fields you don't need when the screen first loads.  To do this, you will have to customize the screen a little bit.  I'd make a copy of the screen and edit the copy.  When customizing, you'll want to look the InvoiceLineIten gird look at the advanced button to the right of each field in the grid.  There's an option to hide columns when the screen first loads.  You'll not want to delete the columns from the grid, so I think hidding them would be your best option.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 11-20-2012 9:44 AM In reply to

Done. Now when I type in the amount and hit update, the amount changes to 0.00.  It seems amount programmed to calculate by multiplying quantity X rate? how can change this so i can manually enter amount?

• 11-20-2012 10:55 AM In reply to

Answer

Shaun,

The calculations in amount are done behind the scenes to ensure data integrtiy with Quickbooks.  Chad gives some good detail here about how and why it works like this.  My suggestion would be to hide all but the item, description and rate (hide the Amount field).  You can then rename the Rate field and enter the amount manually.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-16-2013 10:24 AM In reply to

I am in a different method account trying to customize the invoice screen so it's the same as the account referred to in the previous threads.

I have hidden the columns I need to and am trying to change the Rate column caption to "Amount" just like I've done in my other account.  I successfully changed the Amount column caption to "Amount1" just so there wouldn't be any confusion (that column is hidden) but when I try to change the Rate column caption I get the following error message:

An error has occurred. An email has been sent to Method staff. If this problem persists, please contact the Method Team at method@methodintegration.com.

This error message appears when I change the captions of any column except Amount.  I only need to change the caption of the Rate column.  Please help

• 03-18-2013 9:28 AM In reply to

Hi Shaun,

Could you give me some more detailed steps that you took to get this message?  I made some basic changes to the stock invoice screen to see if I could get the error.  I hid the fields from the previous posts and changed the captions and this went through without a hitch.  

-Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-18-2013 10:27 AM In reply to

Just tried it again and go the error.

1. Clicked on Edit of the QBO_Invoice(2) screen.

2. Clicked on Edit of the InoviceLineItem table

3. Clicked Next to get to Step 2

4. In the bottom-half section under "Edit an Existing Colum".  Under caption I delete "Rate" for field name Rate and change to "Amount".  Click return and get the error message. (I get the error message not matter what caption I type in.

I've already changed the caption for Amount and it worked fine.  I've also done this very procedure in a separate account and it worked fine.  Not sure why I'm getting the error message.

• 03-18-2013 3:58 PM In reply to

Shaun,

Could you try a different browser? I'm wondering if there's a caching issue here.  I can't seem to re-create this.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-18-2013 5:05 PM In reply to

Tried Firefox.

This time I don't get an error per se, but a message box appears that says:

Please select a column

???

• 03-19-2013 9:16 AM In reply to

Answer

Has anything else changed on the grid?  What happens when you make a copy of the invoice screen and just make the caption changes, do they go through?  I'm wondering whether something else in the grid has changed in the grid that's not allowing you to save.  Can you also try regenerating the Invoice and InvoiceLineItems tables?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-22-2013 4:02 PM In reply to

made a brand new copy of the screen. made no changes anywhere. whent straight to the table and tried to change the caption and got the error message.

• 03-25-2013 8:12 AM In reply to

Shaun,

Did you try my suggestion of regenerating the tables?  To do this, under Customize > Tables/Fields click 'Edit Fields' for the InvoiceLineItems table and then click the button for Finish Editing Fields.  If this doesn't work could you email me your account name and enable the MethodSupport user?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 04-01-2013 3:18 PM In reply to

Hi Shaun,

I was able to test this out, but I didn't get any errors. Can you try again?  Also, make a copy of the invoice screen you are working on and try again.  I was unable to re-create this on your account.  

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)