Method Community

strange error message during sync

Last post 02-20-2013 4:01 PM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-20-2013 10:23 AM

• steveb
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2011
    • United States
    • Posts 79

strange error message during sync

Hi all,

Just did a new installation of desktop.  During the sync a message (from windows I think) appears saying device not ready.  The device is '\device\harddisks\dr2'.  Has anyone else seen this message and what is it trying to say?

It gives options to 'cancel' 'ignore', or 'continue'.  Either 'cancel' or 'continue' causes the message to go away and the sync to continue.

I don't want that popping up on the clients screen all of the time.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve Blaustein

steveb@mnvsoftware.com

Steven Blaustein, CPA.CITP
    Owner / Manager
    MNV Software, LLC.
  • 02-20-2013 11:49 AM In reply to

Re: strange error message during sync

Hi Steve,

I've seen this before and this is definitely a Windows message. Certain Windows environments seem to trigger this with the sync engine.  Did you have any external or network drives attached when you installed the sync engine?  Which OS are you running?  Where did you save the setup.exe file?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 02-20-2013 1:10 PM In reply to

• steveb
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2011
    • United States
    • Posts 79

Adam,

I wasn't physically at the client's site when I did the install (I used GOTOMEETING) and I didn't ask what the OS was.  The client said is was his 'server' but it is really his beefy workstation.  We were running Chrome so it put the setup.exe in his default directory.  I can send an email to the client and ask those questions.

Steve

Steven Blaustein, CPA.CITP
    Owner / Manager
    MNV Software, LLC.
  • 02-20-2013 4:01 PM In reply to

Answer

Steve,

I ask because we've had two or three instances in the past month or so where the user had Windows 8.  Unforntunately, we haven't been able to pinpoint why this is occurring, or replicate it.  One user was able to get rid of the error by changing the drive letter (his was a similar error but said "no disk" and it included a drive letter).  This can come up when they install with network drives or USB drives are connected.  Another suggestion is to remove the any USB drives attached and uninstall and reinstall.  You can also Google the specific error, there are plenty of suggested fixes there too.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)