Method Community

Grid Info

Last post 09-03-2009 1:45 PM by Method_Valbon. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-02-2009 2:06 PM

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Grid Info

Hi.

I would like to know the differences between setting a grid as "attached, unattached, or sub-grid".

Also, how does each of these settings impact the screen (and/or) section in which this grid is placed?

Thx,

~Joe

• 09-03-2009 1:45 PM In reply to

Re: Grid Info

Joe,

To help answer this one, we’ll have to take a quick step back and start with the foundation. We know that every screen is built off of a particular table. We also know that every grid displays information from its specified table which we as the user specify in the grid properties. Attached and unattached are the two options you will see moving forward.

Attached: ‘I want to choose a Table that is linked to the Screen's Table.’
    With this option choose a table that has an existing relationship with the table the current screen is built from. The grid will display filtered information based on the current screens active record. In other words, records that are children of the screens selected record.

Attached Sub-Grid: ‘I want to insert a sub grid, that is linked and embedded to an existing grid.’
    We’ve decided to remove this option all together. It was similar to the Attached option above but used the selected record from the parent grid rather than the screens active record ID and displayed it as an embedded grid. This option will soon be removed.

Detached: ‘I want to choose a Table that is not linked to the Screen's Table.’
    With this option choose the table the grid will be built from. This grid’s table will be independent of any other table or grid related to the current screen.

Great question,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)