Method Community

Method Warehouse and working with Bins

Last post 08-11-2011 8:44 AM by Method_Valbon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2009 9:32 AM

Method Warehouse and working with Bins

Emma wrote an e-mail asking:

Today we’ve tried to install Method Warehouse on another computer and it seems the installation is working, the ‘Sync’ is still going at the moment, however we don’t understand the following:

For each item Method Warehouse automatically creates a customer bin and a receiving bin, for example:

Bin Name                                                            Item                      Quantity
    CR1061 (Customer – Viking Altona)          CR1061                 32
    CR1061 (Receiving – Viking Altona)          CR1061                 -32                         

Are you able to help as to why the receiving bin is in negative quantity? Why does it creates one customer bin and one receiving bin automatically?

• 09-25-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

Re: Method Warehouse and working with Bins

Hello Emma,

The receiving bin goes into the - when you invoice an item and you cannot fill the stock.

For example :

You write an invoice for 64 CR1061 for a customer, Method will do a transfer order from the receiving bin to the customer bin. In your inventory, you only have 32 of the item CR1061. This transaction puts you in the negative now for this product.
    Since you only had 32 of that item, your bin is now at -32 showing that you have some backorders for this product.

As for the bins, Method creates a receiving bin for your items. When you get product from your vendor, you fill out your item receipt, you receive that product into the receiving bin for that item. Once in the receiving bin, you can use a transfer order to move that inventory around to whatever location you are placing it in.

The customer bin is used to track how much inventory you have sold. when you sell an item, that item goes into the customer bin

You can find more details about the bins in the warehouse user manual. You can find that here.

Hope this helps explain the bins or you.

• 08-10-2011 6:17 PM In reply to

• l.brandow
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-18-2011
    • American Fork, Utah
    • Posts 243

Hello Mystery Man from 2009. Where for art thou?

I see that the bin carries the Lot Number, but the sync engine creates the bin, (not the method item receipt).

How can we easily tell what bins to put the Lot number in after the PO has been received?

Also, some PO lines need multiple lot number assignments when they're received (3 lots# to 1 POline). What is an easy way to split the bin and assign those multiple lots?

Any and all ideas are much appreciated.

Lance Brandow
    Method Customization Expert
    Brandow Consulting
    (801) 687-3254
  • 08-11-2011 8:44 AM In reply to

Hi Lance,

Thanks for posting. Some of these questions are similar to a thread which I responded to on Aug-3-2011. Part of that thread I have pasted below.

Since the bins are auto-created by the sync engine, I have confirmed you cannot customize this process. You can however follow my previous advice and export the InventoryControlBin and other bin related tables to update fields afterwards though customization. This was the second option you presented on that thread.

Splitting the bins is not an easy concept or task for me to understand. It is probably best to discuss this over consulting time.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)