Method Community

SpecialType field editing

Last post 07-23-2013 3:46 PM by Method_Adam. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2013 3:31 PM

• Nebo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Posts 29

SpecialType field editing

Hi there,

We want to use leads for potential customers, since it is easy to convert them to customers from there. The problem is that we have more types of customers that we need to distinguish (sice we have leads that are converted to Vendors as well. I saw the field for SpecialType that could be perfect for it. I've somehow figured it is in Contacts table, but I'm not sure how to modify this field so I can enter custom values via API. (for example Potential Vendor, Potential customer or something like that so I will know what should be converted into customers and what into Vendors.

Can anyone help with this?

Also is there some chart of connections between fields and screens? One for DB relations could be very useful as well.

• 07-19-2013 2:22 PM In reply to

Re: SpecialType field editing

Answer

Hi Nebo,

The SpecialType can't be used for what you're thinking.  Its actually a field that sync with QuickBooks and is used to determine the main contact and alternate contact for the Customer.  In QuickBooks, each customer is created with a main contact and you also have the option for an alternate contact.  This field is then populated in Method with either Contact or Alt Contact, which you may see in the Customer List grid.

I would suggest creating a custom field to distinguish your contacts.  

Unfortunately, there is no chart that will outline this.  However, you can right click when editing the screen and click Show Summary.  This will outline which fields are being used in that particular screen.

Hope this helps.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 07-22-2013 6:18 PM In reply to

• tomw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-22-2013
    • Posts 1

I have a similar need.  I have contacts listed as types/categories/status, whatever you want to call them in MethodCRM. In my partivcular case, all contacts must have a status like full member, associate member, former member, and so on.  No contact should ever be without a status/category/type/whatever we call it. Would you provide guidance as to how to best solve the original posting dillemma and/or my dillema? I am a trial user.

Thanks,

TomW

• 07-22-2013 6:41 PM In reply to

• Nebo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Posts 29

I have solved this by adding a new field in that table, and creating a view filter for each option. If you have problems figuring this out I might help you with that.

• 07-23-2013 12:17 PM In reply to

Hi TomW

There are two options I see for you.  You could do as Nebo did and create a custom field and populate it.  This will require some customization to edit the screens to add the new field to the screen and the grid.  Also, depending on how the Leads are coming into the system, some additional work may also be needed.

Another option is to utilize our Tags Feature.  With tags, you can put multiple labels onto the same contact.  This is more of a stock solution, as the Tags field is included on our stock Leads and Contact List screen and Customer and Contact List screens.  As long as the tags are created, you can also import and update existing contacts with you new tags.  See our Help Center article on Importing and Exporting for additional information.

If you wish to go ahead with the customization option and need some assistance, our Method Consultants are available to you.  Let me know if you'd like talk to a consultant and I can get the ball rolling.  

Hope this helps.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 07-23-2013 3:46 PM In reply to

Tom,

Just wanted to let you know that another option would be to add a dropdown list field.  This way you can just select a lead or customer type without having to type anything in.  This will also allow you to dynamically update that list if additional types need to be added.  You can find some information on creating dropdown field here.

Feel free to post here if you have any additional questions.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)