Method Community

Tag Table - Tags on Custom Screen

Last post 09-11-2013 12:32 PM by Anonymous. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-21-2013 11:51 AM

• jsenick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-29-2013
    • Jamestown, NY USA
    • Posts 35

Tag Table - Tags on Custom Screen

I am trying to add the TagList field to a custom screen.  The TagList in question is newly added to the customer table (as opposed to the contacts table).  The tags icon does appear as expected.  But it does nothing but show a tiny empty bubble upon hovering over it.  The bubble then does not disappear unless I reload the screen.

Since this is a new field to the customers table, there are no tags yet assigned to it.  So, I thought that perhaps importing a few tags to the Tag Table (per the Help Center instructions) would get me going.  However, I cannot find a Tag table either in Customize->Tables / Fields nor Customize->Integration Tools->Import/Export (show only common table unchecked).

Am I missing something?

- James

Edit: I did try both Google Chrome and Firefoxin regards to the tags bubble display issue, btw.

Edit 2: The custom screen is a copy of CRM_EditCustomer

James Senick
    JamestownStamp.com
  • 08-21-2013 3:32 PM In reply to

Re: Tag Table - Tags on Custom Screen

Hi Jsenick,

By adding the TagList field to the Customer table, you are correct that Method is able to pick up on this "keyword" and will treat this new field as a Tag, similar to how the Contacts Table would.  However, as mentioned in the Help Center Article you pointed out, the actually "Tags" that may be have been created in the Contacts Table will not be available through any other Table, regardless if you added a new TagList field to another Table. Another note, as you have found out through trial and error, you do not have access to the actual "Tags" table, this is stored somewhere in the backend of the program.  You mentioned after adding the TagList field to the custom screen you created, based off the "Customer" Table that the Tag field does appear as expected when viewing this screen, but is blank.  Again, the reason for the blank Tag Field is because the Customer Table isn't able to see the Tags created from the Contacts Table.  You should however have the ability to enter new tags from this new blank Tag Field, demonstrated in the screenshot below.

I have created a new screen and based it on the Customer Table (before creating this screen I added a new TagList field to the Customer Table as you did)

As long as you see the "Create" button as displayed above (by clicking on the tag icon), you should be able to add your new tags for the Customer Table here.  Once one tag has been created, you will get more options to manage your tags from the same area.  You must understand, as our Help Center Article discusses, although possible to add tags through importing a table, it can only be done by including the tag with a customer record.  However, this is not recommended as there are occurences where tags added in this way don't stick and could be gone at a later login session (if you do attempt to add a tag this way, remember to use the format     ,TAGNAME,     - Double comma's being the key).

• 08-22-2013 10:50 AM In reply to

• jsenick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-29-2013
    • Jamestown, NY USA
    • Posts 35

thank you for your response ben.  i apologize for the delay in my own.  

to clarify, i never expected to see contacts tags appear as customer based tags. the problem i am having is that the create button does not appear. i simply get a tiny (approximately 10 pixel square) empty bubble upon hovering over the tag icon. i will attach a screenshot in a bit. right now I'm on a mobile device.

also, in regards to the tag table, the help article actually currently states "Instead, it is recommended that you first import new tags into the Tag table, and make sure you specify the correct table the tag belongs to - or just manually enter your unique tags before importing".

this i was attempting as just an alternate procedure to get my first customer tag... in hopes that then i would see the proper tag creation bubble.

thank you for your help,

James

Edit: this is the empty bubbleI was referring to that appear when hovering over the tags icon. Again,this icon was placed by making a custom copy of the Edit Customer screen and dragging the TagList field onto it.  I also set the caption location to none per the help center instructions.

empty tag bubble

James Senick
    JamestownStamp.com
  • 08-22-2013 2:27 PM In reply to

Hi James,

Would you be able to email me privately with the CompanyAccount name you enter in your Method Login.  I would have to take a look in your account to see what is happening, from you described above you should be able to see the "Create" button, so there might be something else wrong here.  If you do want us to take a look at your account, could you also make sure MethodSupport is turned ON, this can be done by going to Customize->Users Tab and in the section "Edit Existing User" make sure there is a checkmark beside the MethodSupport User.

-Ben

• 08-23-2013 6:33 AM In reply to

• jsenick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-29-2013
    • Jamestown, NY USA
    • Posts 35

thank you ben. details have been sent.

James Senick
    JamestownStamp.com
  • 08-23-2013 2:16 PM In reply to

Hi James,

I have taken a look at your account and was able to see what you are referring to.  We actually have a ticket in for this issue, it seems that when using tags in tables other than Contacts, they do not appear correctly within the "tabbed" areas of a screen.  As a test, I added th "TagList" field tthe "Additional Info" section of the "EditCustomer" Screen, and here it does function correctly.  However, as soon as you add it to a tabbed area of this screen, like you have in "Address Info", it will not function correctly.

I will do a little more research on this issue to see if there is anything we can do, for the mean time, would you be able to, at least for now, add your taglist field to the "Additional Info" section of your custom EditCustomer Screen?

-Ben

• 08-23-2013 4:13 PM In reply to

• jsenick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-29-2013
    • Jamestown, NY USA
    • Posts 35

Ben,

Not a problem.  Works as expected now.  It sounds like a stylesheet z-index issue.  Thank you for your help.  Just to clarify, this was in the Additional Info tab on the editCustomer screen.  The TagList field works fine in the Address area above the tabbed area (Additional Info, Payment & Job Info, Contacts, Transactions, etc.).

Thanks again Ben,

- James

James Senick
    JamestownStamp.com
  • 08-23-2013 4:38 PM In reply to

Hi James,

I am glad you are able to utlize this workaround.  I have made a note to update this thread if there are any updates for this issue.

- Ben

• 09-11-2013 12:32 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi James,

I know you were fine with using the tag field as mentioned in the workaround above.  However, we have added a fix for this in the latest Method Update, meaning if you were to add the "Tag" field to any tabbed section of a screen, it now works with no issues.

-Ben

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)