Method Community

Copying a table

Last post 11-05-2009 8:30 AM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2009 1:54 PM

Copying a table

Hello - I was trying to copy the table EstimateLine.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you - Jacob

• 11-03-2009 2:06 PM In reply to

Re: Copying a table

Hey Jacob.

Currently you cannot copy a table. Did you mean screen? If so then go into the Customize tab and click on the screens tab link, at the bottom of the list you will see "copy/import screen"

If you want to copy the table, explain why you would want to and maybe we can come up with something that helps you.

• 11-03-2009 2:14 PM In reply to

Ryan - Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to create a different screen and report that used many of the same fields as the EstimateLine table.

I haven't been able to figure out how that table grabs the description, item, etc. from QB. So, I was going to copy the table, delete a few fields, and create some new ones.

The only fields I needed from EstimateLine for the new table were:

Item, Description, Sales Tax Code, and Cost.

Thank you for your help - Jacob

• 11-03-2009 2:33 PM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Answer

Hi peoples =) ..

1) "..I haven't been able to figure out how that table grabs the description, item, etc. from QB.."

The link between method and quickbooks is the method engine installed on your machine. There are fields in the pre-made method tables that correspond with a field of the same name in quickbooks. The integration to/from QBs fields from/to Method's predefined table is automatic via the engine sync.

But the sync cannot be duplicated, trimmed down, or expanded. The same exact fields will continue to sync with each other in the specific method tables and quickbooks. If you create your own table, copying the same field types and names will not allow your table to sync with QB since it is not a predefined method table set up to do so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although you cannot delete method's predefined tables/fields you can choose to add some new fields to the table that you add information to in method.

You could add your extra fields to the EstimateLine table and set up a grid (the "table" you see on a screen is a grid view of the real table). You can set a grid to show as many or as few of the fields from the table as you want, as well as the order in which they appear.

Hope this helps.

~Joe

• 11-05-2009 8:30 AM In reply to

Hey Guys,

Nice rebound from the last post Joe Stick out tongue, This is a great explanation of how fields in Method are linked to Quickbooks.

Hope that helped you out Jacob

Thanks for helping Joe!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)