Method Community

Bug? - Grid Columns

Last post 11-27-2009 8:20 AM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-18-2009 10:49 AM

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Bug? - Grid Columns

Grid -> Columns -> Actions link.

When adding events to a grid column, such as the select event (not to be confused with the select link), the column data becomes clickable.

Upon the click, the actions under the "Slect" event should be ran.

I put a "Show Message" action under EVERY event type. Under no situation does the message display. Is method failing to run these events?

~Joe

• 11-18-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

Re: Bug? - Grid Columns

Hey Joe,

One of us is starting to slide, I tested this out and I was able to get the show message to work, I did the following:

Copied the Customer List screen
    Edited the Customer column and added a show message on select
    Save and close.. and when I tested it, it worked fine.

Let me know the steps you're taking as well as the screen you're trying to do this on. This may help me figure out whats going on.

• 11-18-2009 3:55 PM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Sorry for the piss-poor explanation... life has thrown a few things my way i'm not coping with at 100%.

Screen: New Activity (Copy)

Object: Custom Grid dragged onto screen. Grid is based off a custom table that i created called contacts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For whatever reason, when i added a show message to a name field it worked perfectly -- so i deleted teh other fields and readded, as well as redoing the actions. The show message started appearing after that so i can honestly say i have no idea what the deal was with those 3 fields...

Although I do have a slightly related question:

When using the select link on a grid... i've noticed the action "Retrieve Value From Table" is able to use Grid:RecordID to find the correct name in the table.

But, if i use "Enter Value Into Field On Screen"" - and i try to say Field-Name is equal to Value From Screen"- Grid:Name... it doesnt work. Nothing seems to happen.

So why is it that retrieve value form table actions can use the Grid values...but "Enter Value Into Field On Screen".. cannot?

• 11-23-2009 7:40 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2008
    • Posts 877

Joe,

I think I kow what you are talking about with your follow up question.

It sounds like you are trying to enter a value from the grid onto the screen. It sounds like you are trying to do that using the "Enter value into field on screen" where you "retrieve value from" a field on the screen (being Grid:FieldName).

For some reason it appears that the only time retrieve value from screen works on a grid is to get the RecordID (like you described). You can then use "Retrieve value from table" to get the value of the field for that Record ID )and save it to an action result) and then "Enter value into field On Screen" with the value coming from the Action Result.

I think the option to just retrieve the value from the grid directly was throwing you off (it threw me off until I realized it didn't work).

Matt Raiser

Founder,

www.techinthefield.com

matt@techinthefield.com

219-221-9500

~ Method user / partner since 2008

~ Over 15 years field service experience

~ 2013 Method Partner of the Year

~ Degree in Computer Science

Creator of:

• 11-23-2009 8:41 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Hi Matt.

In the end,

I was still curious why the "Enter Value Into Field on Screen" using Grid:Column1 to place into "myField" doesn't work.

Why search an entire table to find a match when I have what i want is sitting in the grid ready to be transferred? Is this action not suppose to be able to transfer data from a grid to a field? Even if it isn't, then why would the grid values even be options?..

The enter value simply makes more sense unless there is an underlying restriction such as the data found in a grid not actually being stored in a duplicate location for just that grid's data to be retrieved. If the grid is only a text representation of what we wanted from the table, meaning the table is still the ONLY physical existence of the data ... then this would somewhat make sense.

~Joe

• 11-27-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

Hey Guys,

I wanted to let you both know we are currently looking into this and seeing what options we have with this action. I will post an update soon.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)