Method Community

Error adding a new field

Last post 05-22-2014 2:40 PM by Method_Russell. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2014 12:48 PM

Error adding a new field

I'm trying to add a new field, "Banner Store #" to my customers so when I type in "Banner Store #" into Field Name and make the type Integer, I get this message:

Fields may only contain alpha-numeric characters. 

Please make the appropriate changes. 

When designing the screen you may change the caption of the field to whatever you require. 

(Even when I change the field name to "Banner Store NO")

Can someone please help?

• 05-22-2014 1:22 PM In reply to

Re: Error adding a new field

Hi Wentsi,

Field names may only contain upper and lower case letters, and numbers. You are trying to name a field with spaces in it and the number sign (#) which is not allowed due to the design of the database.

I recommend using a field name such as "BannerStoreNumber", and then then when you display the field on a screen, renaming it's caption to "Banner Store #". The caption is displayed on screens and can contain any character, the field name is used behind the scenes.

-Russell

• 05-22-2014 1:23 PM In reply to

Russell,

I actually figured it out and did exactly what you said too, thanks though!

• 05-22-2014 1:40 PM In reply to

Russell,

Maybe you can help me again - I added the field but now it doesn't show up in customers when I try and edit or add a new customer. Thanks!

• 05-22-2014 2:40 PM In reply to

Hi Wentsi,

Adding a a field to a table adds it to the database, now you can add it to screensTo do this, go to Customize > Screens. Click on CRM_EditCustom to copy the screen. Note that the default screens cannot be edited (so that you can revert to them if needed), so you should make a copy of that screen. Go through the wizard, then on step 3 chose "Replace links to an existing screen". After this, find the name you  in the wizard, and click it to edit the screen.specified

Now you can drag the Banner Store # field onto the screen. Due to the way this screen was designed, this new field will load and save once it is dragged onto the canvas, so you should be done with this screen. If you wanted to use this field on any other screen, you would have to add it there too.

For more information on editing screens, please see this webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2eBgsAwPfg&list=PLG5Qmoh21vN4Od1mRtrDoY6NyPabWApjx&index=2, and any of the other webinars on: http://www.methodintegration.com/method/kb.aspx?folder=methodcrm&article=Method-V1&id=369. 

-Russell

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)