Method Community

Add Email Subject to Activity from Gmail Gadget

Last post 06-03-2014 3:34 PM by Method_Russell. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2014 1:21 PM

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

Add Email Subject to Activity from Gmail Gadget

Is it possible to add the subject of an incoming email in Gmail when adding an activity using the gadget? My goal is to be able to send an email reply within Method that uses the same subject as the received email, as if I was replying in Gmail.

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 05-23-2014 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: Add Email Subject to Activity from Gmail Gadget

Hi Brett,

This is how it should work, and the gadget was designed with this use case in mind. On my end, I opened up an email in Gmail (I used the noification email from this forum post), and then I added an activity using the Gmail gadget. 

Then when I opened up the Activity, the Subject field contained the subject from the email:

Could you try with a couple more emails? Are all the other fields populated with the information you expect?

-Russell

• 05-30-2014 10:53 AM In reply to

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

Hi Russel,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. My goal is to be able to add an incoming email as an activity in Method and then reply to it from within Method as if I was replying via Gmail. For example, when I reply in Gmail, it quotes the incoming email and I can put my reply above the quoted message along with my signature. That way, I have both an activity for the incoming email and then an activity for the outgoing email (especially if I am scheduling a list of emails I have to respond to for the next morning, for example).

In order to acheive this, I was adding the incoming email as an activity that was completed and adding a follow up email outgoing activity. However, the follow up email activity doesn't have a subject. After reading your reply above, I tried just adding the incoming email as an activity and then in Method, clicking on the Send an Email check box. This uses the same subject but doesn't quote the incoming email. Can I assume that I can create an action to save the clipped comment and add that to the body of my reply? Or am I making this too complicated?

The other process I tried was just replying in Gmail and then adding that sent email as an incoming & outgoing email completed activity. What process do you recommend your customers to use to keep track of all incoming and outgoing emails as activities for conversations

Last question, are emails sent out of Method using Method's mail server or using my own server's mail server? I ask because I am concerned about emails sent out of Method being marked as spam by some of my recipients mail servers. If this is the case, do you recommend just replying in Gmail?

Thanks for your input!

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 06-03-2014 3:34 PM In reply to

Hi Brett,

When you add an email to Method using the gadget, the body of the email should contain the email you received, and you can add your own message above. This can be seen on the screenshot above, the inbound email starts with "Add Email Subject..." in the body field, and I could add my reply above that line. Is this not the behavior you are experiencing? What is in the Body section on your end?

The Gmail signature will not be inlcuded by default, but you can add your signature to Method manually. To do this, click on your user name in the top right cornder, then click on Email:

You can use HTML code here if your Gmail signature is in HTML as well.

The other process you mention makes sense, as far as recommendations I suggest whatever is easiest to you. So once you are able to quote the body of the inbound email, you can try replying from Gmail and Method to see what works best for you.

As for your last question, you can setup whatever Email provider you like to have Method send emails through. For instructions on how to do this, please see this link http://www.methodintegration.com/method/kb.aspx?folder=MethodCRM&article=Specify-your-Email-Provider&id=84. Note that if you are using Gmail, you can have Method send emails through your Gmail account, we have a forum post on this available here http://method.me/cs/forums/p/1260/6628.aspx.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

-Russell

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)