Method Community

Team member function.

Last post 10-08-2014 11:57 AM by Method_Inderdeep. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-06-2014 5:43 PM

• a.jones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-28-2014
    • Radford, VA
    • Posts 1

Team member function.

Got a question.

Is there a way to use Teams ONLY on the "Assigned to" function of the Work Order? Does this "assigned to" field HAVE to be assigned to Users? Can it be assigned to Teams instead?

I want to use the Field Service Calendar for scheduling purposes and my problem is that we send out multiple people out to a job with a single Work Order. However, we do not send the same people out to the same jobs all the time. So, when I open the Calendar, it lists all the Users that I have selected, but I can't put a single Work Order on multiple Users on the schedule without creating multiple Work Orders - which I do not want to do.

For instance: if I have a plumbing job at Location A, I would send out my plumber (Bob) with a helper (Jim) on Monday and on Tuesday, I might send out Bob with Larry as the helper because I need Jim at Location B. So, if I create a Team called BobJim & one called BobLarry, I can assign a particular job to a particular Team and know who is going where when I look at the schedule for the next day. In addition to that, I could create a Team called JimOnly or a larger Team called BobJimLarry, if I needed all three of them at a particular job on Wednesday. And maybe on Wednesday, put a Work Order for BobJimLarry on the Calendar, but then Jim is sick so I change it to a Team called BobLarry.

Then when you are looking at the Work Order Calendar, when sorted by Users, you would see Bob, Jim, & Larry and the Work Orders that they have been assigned to. It will look like there are two work orders for Monday for Bob and Jim, but in reality it is only one work order. Tuesday would look like there are three work orders, but in reality there are only two. Wednesday, same as Monday, but Bob & Larry instead.

Then, if you could toggle that Work Order Calendar view to be sorted by Teams, it would only show one Work Order for Monday, two Work Orders for Tuesday, and one Work Order for Wednesday. Drilling down to the work order will reflect the actual employees who were on the particular Teams.

I understand that part of the Team function is tracking time and there is something about not putting a User on more than one Team - I'm not sure I understand the whys and wherefores of that though. However, that doesn't really bother me too much. I am interested in getting the scheduling functionality correct. If I can run a report that also prints out the times that a User was on a particular job, that is a bonus, but not a requirement.

Any suggestions as to how I might be able to do this? Is it even doable? Sorry. I know this is a little garbled.

Andrea Jones
    Blake n Moody CPAs
    540-639-9611
  • 10-08-2014 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: Team member function.

Hello A.Jones,

Here's my answer. In terms of using a Team in the Assigned To field you have to first create Team from the Team Members Screen :

1. From the Dashboard, go to Settings > Team members.
    2. Choose a team name for your team and type it into the field (e.g. Pipe Queen).
    3. Under Team Leader, choose your personal user name or any other active user from the drop down list.
    4. Under Employee/Vendor 1, choose your Employee/ Vendor1 from the dropdown list.
    5. Repeat this steps for the additional empolyees/ vendor you want to add.
    6. Click Save & Close to save this record.
    Once the team members are set, this is the order to create a Work Order:

1. Fill in the required fields. Make sure that "Assigned To:" is set to the Team Lead.
         2. Under the "Tasks and Materials" tab, create a "New Job Item" and then "Update" so that the items get saved.
         3. Under the "Time In / Time Out" tab, select the Job Item. 

Choosing "Assigned To:" is also choosing the Team Lead. The team that person is leading will be filled in automatically in the "Time In/Time Out" tab. And it will only show the workorder on the team leader calender not on team members.

The point you mentioned that you want to see it on both of their calender won't be possible and if it has to work that way it might require heavy customization because of the way the properties of the calender are set.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services

-Inder

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)