Method Community

Create ReceivePayment with full amount unapplied

Last post 12-21-2014 1:30 PM by furrywombat. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-27-2014 12:09 PM

Create ReceivePayment with full amount unapplied

We often receive advance payments for sales orders that, in QuickBooks, is easy enough to just create an unapplied payment to be applied at a future date (when sales order invoices). However, I cannot seem to make a ReceivePayment entry with no referenced invoice or other transaction that will sync. I get a sync error mentioning that it "NEEDS" to be applied to another transaction.

When I set IsAutoApply to TRUE, it syncs just fine. If there are no open invoices on the account, the unapplied amount will remain as the full amount of the received payment. Problem is, we want to have more control over how these payments are applied. So, if a customer has a pre-existing balance from another invoice (that was not pre-paid), the ReceivePayment will automatically apply the amount to the existing invoice. I tried deleting the ReceivePaymentApplyToTxn records associated with the record then re-syncing with the desktop, but it just won't sync (no error either).

I tried creating a dummy back-dated invoice to be deleted after. Apparently QB auto-applies not based on date, but based on RecordID (or TxnID, however you look at it). So this is not an option either.

HOW do I simply create a ReceivePayment that will NOT auto-apply to any currently open invoices, and that WILL sync with QB??

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 12-01-2014 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: Create ReceivePayment with full amount unapplied

Anyone? Is it not possible to simply create the payment receipt and leave the full amount unapplied?

• 12-02-2014 2:40 PM In reply to

Hi furrywombat. 

QBD Sync doesn't support specifically what you are asking, but you could try doing: 

1. sync the payment (this will be an add)
    2. Wait
    3. Clear the records in ReceivePaymentAppliedToTxn.
    4. Sync the payment again (this time as a mod)
    Your mileage may vary but please let me know if it does work for you.

Thanks
    Chris 

• 12-02-2014 2:52 PM In reply to

Hi Chris,

Thanks--definitely on the right track, but see below, from my original message:

I tried deleting the ReceivePaymentApplyToTxn records associated with the record then re-syncing with the desktop, but it just won't sync (no error either).

• 12-21-2014 1:30 PM In reply to

Okay, now we have a serious problem. The ReceivePayment records are now NOT syncing to the desktop at all. Will someone please take a look at this? Previously, there was some kind of server misconfiguration preventing customers from being sent to the desktop. I'm guessing this is a similar issue.

To be clear, the issue is no longer the need to leave the full amount of a payment unapplied. The issue is sending a ReceivPayment transaction to the desktop via the API to a customer with no open invoices. If a customer has an open invoice, the payment record will be sent. If they do not, it won't. Works from the CRM screen, but does not when using the API. No changes were made to the API insert receive payment function that would have caused this.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)