Method Community

[Random case] Not work in Chrome, but ok in IE or FireFox (or vice versa)

Last post 04-20-2015 4:58 PM by Method_Audisho. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2015 6:43 PM

[Random case] Not work in Chrome, but ok in IE or FireFox (or vice versa)

Hi Method,

This issue confused me quite a while, I did not pay much attention to solve it since a lot of development to do. Now, in test stage, my client faces this issue quite a lot, so I'd like to know what's going on and the solution. 

It actually happens in several default/customized screen, but random. All cases are related to popup screen. After popup screen is launched, the task in popup screen finished correctly, but the calling screen, onClosePopup can not get correct value (via Shared Result.) In this case, if I switch to different browser, then it works again, and if I wait for quite a while, then the browser that failed before can work. However, I can not ask my client to switch browser from time to time.

Is there anything in Method Action or configuration that I need to adjust to make it work? Thanks.

Alex

Chief Architect
    Yi Systems, Inc.
    alexhuang@yisystems.com
    www.yisystems.com blogs.yisystems.com
    Software.Web.Cloud.IT
  • 04-20-2015 8:49 AM In reply to

Re: [Random case] Not work in Chrome, but ok in IE or FireFox (or vice versa)

Hi Alex,

Shared results can be kind of difficult if not used correctly. You need to make sure that you are clearing / re-initializing them once you are done with the stored value. This usually means setting them to a blank string.

You mentioned that this is occurring on some of your stock screens. What is the issue that leads you to believe this is a problem with shared results on a stock screen? What screen is this occurring on?

Keep in mind that our support team can help if you are running into any issues on the stock screens. It definitely helps if you can reproduce the issue for us, but if you are having problems with the stock screens, I recommend that you give our support line a call at 1.888.925.6238 x2.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 04-20-2015 12:43 PM In reply to

Hi,

I do follow this rule to set/reset shared value. That is, set shared value in parent screen, update value in a popup screen, then check and reset in parent screen again. 

The issue I have is: sometimes, the shared value from popup screen are blank. Or, sometimes, the shared value are modified in popup screen, but become its orignal value when back to parent screen (in onclosepopup.) And, if it happends, it will last for a long time (couple hours.) at this moment, if I change browser, then it works again.

Most of my case for a stock screen is to create Bill from Purchase order.

And, I have some cutomized screen similar to this screen (for example, create invoice from sales order, and some of my own screen) has the same issue. That is, shared result may become incorrect sometimes.

Unfortunately, this case is random, I can not reproduce it with specific rules. Our system is in test/qa stage now, my client already have some reports regarding this already. I'll definitely call you if we could find the steps to generate it.

===

Chief Architect
    Yi Systems, Inc.
    alexhuang@yisystems.com
    Software.Web.Cloud.IT
  • 04-20-2015 2:00 PM In reply to

Hi Alex,

You may be doing this already, but I am going to suggest a workflow for using shared results with a parent and popup screen:

1) On the parent screen, place the value that you want to access in the popup screen into a shared result. We’ll call this SRParent.

2) On the popup, retrieve the value from SRParent and store it in an action result. We’ll call this ARPopup.

3) On the popup, clear the shared result SRParent to prevent issues with using this in the future.

4) On the popup, use ARPopup for any logic that you need to use this value for.

5) On the popup, assign any value you need to pass back to the parent screen to a new shared result. We’ll call this SRPopup.

6) On the parent screen, retrieve the value from SRPopup and store it in an action result to be used on the screen.

7) On the parent screen, clear the shared result SRPopup to prevent issues with using this in the future.

You want to make sure that you are retrieving the value from a shared result as soon as you can. You also want to make sure that you are clearing your shared results as soon as you have retrieved the value.

I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 04-20-2015 4:47 PM In reply to

Thanks.

The difference to your instruction is that I use SRParent through out parent screen and popup. I'll try to check if I can change like your instruction since I have 10 this kinds of popup, and each of which has lots action, so it will need lots of action move to insert new actions. (or do you have better tool to insert action?)

--

Chief Architect
    Yi Systems, Inc.
    alexhuang@yisystems.com
    Software.Web.Cloud.IT
  • 04-20-2015 4:58 PM In reply to

Hi Alex,

There is no tool to automate this. You’ll have to update the actions on each of your screens manually. I recommend that you update one set of screens with my suggestion and verify that this resolves the issue. If you notice that the issue no longer occurs after updating this set, then update them all with my suggestion. I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)