Method Community

Errors in Import from old to new method account

Last post 04-20-2015 1:35 PM by scottaskinosie. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2015 6:03 PM

Errors in Import from old to new method account

I am trying to import tables from our Method account that we began several years ago that is synching with QB Desktop to our new Method account that is synching with QB online.

Let me begin by saying this has not been a pleasant experience. It is not an intuitive process, the instructions on the support page are not detailed enough to be helpful and it has been very time consuming.

I follow the instructions from the method website and during the validation step I see that most of the fields are not recognozed even though, via the directions, I copied the field names directly from the spreadsheet I  generated from the account I am trying to import into.

So I have to select over 50 fields that it needs to look for.  The site reloads after each click so it took me about an hour just to get all of the fields selected.

But even with all of the fields correctly matched it gives me an error saying that the fields I want to upate cannot be edited

Leaving me with none of the data I am trynig to import/(

I am hoping its something simple but I I am really not looking forward to going throught this whole process for each table I need to move to our new site.

• 04-20-2015 9:24 AM In reply to

Re: Errors in Import from old to new method account

Answer

Hi scottaskinosie,

First off, if you haven’t watched the video tutorials on performing an import, I recommend that you watch these first. The workflow and options are explained in these videos. You can find these at the bottom of solution No. 189 in our Help Center.

Second, I immediately see a couple of problems with what you are doing:

1) In your first screen shot, you need to match the fields from your CSV to the ones in Method by selecting the To Existing Field radio button and then selecting a field from the dropdown that is displayed.

2) The Update existing records by matching key fields option is for importing updated information for data the is already in Method. If you are importing all new records, you do not want to select this option.

If you do want to update data that is already in Method, you want to select key fields that will only match 1 record (you have far too many selected). Usually we use the RecordID field, as this is a unique value.

While our support team will not perform the import for you, if you are still having difficulty with this, you can give our support line a call at 1.888.925.6238 x2. We can perform a screen share with you and try to walk you through the process. I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 04-20-2015 12:53 PM In reply to

Thank you Audisho, I appreciate your help.

Yes I have watched the videos but unfortunately they were not helpful:(

I will elaborate and see if there is something else I may be missing or if you think I should contact support.

I follow the instructions exactly. I begin by exporting a table from the new account so that I have all of the correct field names propagated for me in an excel spreadsheet. I then export from the old site and have an almost identical spreadsheet with all of my activity values in it. Unfortunately, the old site excel sheet has 3 extra fields that the new site does not. No problem, they are empty anyway so I delete the columns and I now have an identical spreadsheet that I can move activities from my old site spreadsheet to my new site spreadsheet. I do this as per the instructions, EXACTLY as the instructions say, and make sure that everything is in the correct columns and then I paste the spreadsheet into the import field with the headings from the new site excel spreadsheet, just as the instructions say.

If you will look at the first picture I posted in the previous post the option _To Existing Field_, as you mentioned in your reply, does not show up for me. Even though I pulled the field names directly from the new site that I am attempting to import into it does not seem to recognize them as the correct field names. After trying to fix this issue for some time I noticed that if I selected _Update existing records by matching key fields_ I could get the option to show up to select_ To Existing Field. 

I now understand what you are saying that _Update existing records by matching key fields __will not work. So now I need to know how do I get method to recognize the fields that I am entering so that the _To Existing Field__ option becomes available._

Perhaps it would be best for me to contact support and screen share with them and recapitulate the problem so that they can see it? 

• 04-20-2015 1:09 PM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

The To Existing Field option shows up directly under the Do Not Import option. I think this is a simple misunderstanding of the import process, but since I can’t see exactly what you’re doing, I’m not sure what it is that you’re doing incorrectly. Give support a call and I’m sure they’ll be able to point this out to you. If you can’t get through, leave a voicemail and they’ll call you back as soon as they’re available.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 04-20-2015 1:35 PM In reply to

I see what you mean, I neglected to mention that when I choose "To existing field" I get an error for that field unless there is a dropdown box as you can see to the far right of the first picture I posted. Sorry, the way I worded it before was not done well. The option does appear but unless the dropdown appears as well it doesn't seem to recognize the field.

I will contact support anyway and see if they can help.

Thank you again Audisho!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)