Method Community

Uploading 'Alternate' Contacts into the Contact Table

Last post 10-26-2010 12:10 PM by l.fischer. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2010 3:41 PM

• Palmer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2010
    • Detroit, Michigan
    • Posts 4

Uploading 'Alternate' Contacts into the Contact Table

I need know what are the key fields that I need to use with the INSERT API  to add Alternate Contacts to existing QB Customers.  Is there a document anywhere that talks about the key tables and the required fields needed for inserting where existing foriegn keys exist, like customers/vendors, etc.   The general RecordID just would just create orphans in the Contact table.

I am using the MethodAPIInsertV2 interface to upload/transfer several hundred QuickBooks matched contacts from an ACT database into Method.

EntityType=’Customer’, EntityRecordID=767, FirstName='Joe' AND LastName='Test' to upload into the 'Contacts' Table.

I get an error of: ‘The field EntityType or EntityRecordID do not support Add’

I queried the Customer table to get the existing Customer RecordID matched them up manually in Excel.  That is were I got the value 767 above.   Is it using trying the 'Name' field to automatically index this or something?

How do insert alternate contacts into Method and tie them to existing QB customers?

• 04-28-2010 4:43 PM In reply to

Re: Uploading 'Alternate' Contacts into the Contact Table

Palmer -

If you want to add extra contacts, don't insert them into the Customer table.  Insert them into the "Contacts" table. For the Contacts.Entity field, use the value from the customer.fullname.

No need to get RecordID.

What you were doing was trying to insert a duplicate customer, which wouldn't work.

Once you try inserting the Contact Table with:

Contact.Entity = (your customer's FullName)

Contact.FirstName = 'Joe'

Contact.LastName = 'Test'

You should be smooth sailing.

Paul

• 10-26-2010 11:02 AM In reply to

Paul,

I am trying to add multiple contacts to a single customer.  Can you please be more specific on how to link the new contacts to existing customers?  I successfully imported a contact, but it is not linked to the customer. 

Laura Fischer
    Business Accounting Software, Inc.
    512-267-2277
  • 10-26-2010 11:46 AM In reply to

Answer

l.fischer -

Are you setting a value for the Entity field in the Contact table?  As long as you do this, it should show up for that customer.

Are you using the API for this, or the Import/Export tool?

I just tried it with Import / Export and was able to import from the clipboard a contact for Natalie Chapman (not sure how the copy and paste from excel will show here!!):

Entity FirstName LastName Name Phone
    Chapman, Natalie Paul Jackson Paul Jackson 111-222-3333

Paul

• 10-26-2010 12:10 PM In reply to

I figured it out.  My header in Excel is Entity, and the column is populated with the Customer Name. 

Laura Fischer
    Business Accounting Software, Inc.
    512-267-2277
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)