Method Community

Create a Sales Order from an Estimate in Quickbooks Online Plus

Last post 06-10-2015 3:41 PM by Method_Audisho. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2015 11:56 AM

• TTUS2371
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2015
    • Detroit, MI
    • Posts 3

Create a Sales Order from an Estimate in Quickbooks Online Plus

I have been speaking with my Method Acct Rep.  She said that there isn't an actual document for a Sales Order that will convert over to QB if you use QB Online Plus.  I don't really need it to.  I just need a physical copy of a Sales Order, but I want it converted from an Estimate so I don't have to refill everything in.  She suggested that I copy the Estimate and create a "Convert to Sales Order" Button.  What I need to show on the Sales Order is a PO# Field.  She suggests that I create that on the Estimate copy which will be my Sales Order and fill in the PO# then print and send via email.  Then when I am ready for an invoice in QB, I can just uncheck the Wait to Sync Approval on the Estimate and it will post in QB then I can create my invoice there.  Anyone have a clue how this could be done.  I don't think it is that difficult.

Jamie Sandor
  • 06-04-2015 1:12 PM In reply to

Re: Create a Sales Order from an Estimate in Quickbooks Online Plus

Hi Jamie,

Since QBO doesn’t have sales orders, I’m not sure that creating sales orders in your Method account would really be a good use of your time. Do you need a completely different transaction for this or would adding some additional data to your estimates and using a different print template to have it display as a “sales order” suffice?

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 06-10-2015 2:34 PM In reply to

• TTUS2371
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2015
    • Detroit, MI
    • Posts 3

Thank you for the post.  I do not need the Sales Order to be converted over to QB Online Plus.  I just need to create one from an Estimate.  I need the document to be called "Order Confirmation".  Once I create the Estimate then I send it to my customer.  If they return a PO, then I send them an Order Confirmation and Invoice.  This is how my corporate office wants me to handle it.  My estimate is what I send over to QB and then create an Invoice in QB.  

I will use the same information from the Estimate.  I just don't want to have to retype the information from the Estimate to the Order Confirmation (AKA Sales Order).  I do need to note their PO # on the Order Confirmation.  This is probably the only different field.  Would this be possible.

Jamie Sandor
  • 06-10-2015 3:41 PM In reply to

Hi Jamie,

In this case, I would still recommend performing some customization so that you can have an estimate appear as a sales order rather than physically creating a sales order. While there is a SalesOrder table available in Method already, inputting data into this table is not a good idea. Should Intuit at some point decide to include sales orders in QBO, we have no way of knowing how they will structure the data. Pre-emptively entering data into this table now, could cause issues with syncing sales orders in the future.

Alternatively, you could create a custom table for storing sales orders and customize screens and workflows for generating and viewing them, but this is a lot of work. So much so that it’s not something I can really help with over forums.

What I would suggest instead is taking advantage of the Status field available on your estimates. Instead of generating a sales order record when you receive the PO from the customer, you will change the status to Accepted. Once an estimate has been accepted, it will be treated as a sales order or “Order Confirmation”. This still requires a good deal of customization, but it removes the need to build a new table, add logic to the estimates screen for generating another record and the need to build a sales order transaction screen from scratch.

You have some options with how to approach this. If you only need the ability to print an order confirmation, then all you need to do is create the print template using a copy of the estimate print template modified to appear as an order confirmation. This can be done with our report designer. Then add logic to the Print Preview button so that this template is used if the estimate has been accepted (or just add a second button for printing as an order confirmation).

Alternatively, you have the option of having your accepted estimates appear as order confirmations in Method if necessary. You just need to make a copy of the estimates screen to use for this. You can have the grid filtered to only show accepted estimates and change the print preview button to point to the order confirmation print template that you created. You can optionally add some filters to your estimates screen so that accepted estimates or order confirmations are not displayed here.

This isn’t the simplest customization to perform, but it’s much easer to do it this way rather than attempting to create actual sales orders. If you would like some assistance with creating this, please feel free to reach out to your account manager and schedule some time with our professional services team. I know for a fact that they have built similar functionality at the request of other customers in the past. You also have the option of reaching out to a Method partner for assistance.

I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)