Method Community

Making a relationship table

Last post 01-06-2016 9:30 AM by Method_Audisho. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-31-2015 12:11 PM

• Sixtel
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-18-2015
    • charleston
    • Posts 27

Making a relationship table

Hello, 

I am not sure if I am doing this the best way, or even if this way is possible, but has anyone tried this and if so can you help me figure out where I am going wrong. 

on my edit customer screen I have created a new section (that opens up under a certain condition) that is meant to send data through to a table I created. The data I want it to send is the customerID(which i am vague on) and a date that the user selects. This is done by an action on a calender. 

the table then should look like this:

customerID | Date
    --------------|---------
    1                | 12-15-15
    1                | 12-18-15
    4                | 2-15-16
    1                | 3-15-16

or you know something kind of like that.

The date will just be a direct copy from what the user enters. No big deal there./

I think what I cant figure out is that there may be a hidden recordID on each entry in a table that I cant figure out how to tie together ?

How should I actually set up this table in Method? 

currently i have:

a date field called BlackoutDate

and a customerID field i created which is a dropdown linked to the RecordID on the Customer table

when i try to enter a date is throws an error saying more or less that the value that i am trying to put into the customerID field is not a valid value on my dropdown list, so either my linked dropdown list is not doing the right thing, or I don't know where to link them when i set up the action on the edit customer screen, which is very possible. 

This is how I am trying to do it:

But I don't know if I am looking for the recordID in the correct spot. 

Anyone try anything like this before?

• 12-31-2015 1:35 PM In reply to

• Sixtel
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-18-2015
    • charleston
    • Posts 27

Re: Making a relationship table

Hello all! 

I seem to have resolved this by linking on FULL NAME instead of on recordID. I still don't really know what recordID is, so if anyone has any insite on that I would much appreciate it! 

• 01-03-2016 11:09 PM In reply to

• fran
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-08-2009
    • Mountain View
    • Posts 453

Answer

Sixtel,

Everyrecord in everytable in Method has a unique RECORDID.   FullName is the key field for the Customer Table( it has to be unique also).  It is the customer's name...It's RecordID is the unique number assigned to that name.  This is how you associate the customer attributes (like billing address ) with a particular customer.

Your customerID field looks OK, from your description it will pick up the active recordID of the screen.then add your blackout date field .   But as you may have discovered your Join or Link to the customer table may not have been correct..

Fran Reed
    FreedUp Solutions
    Intuit Solution Provider
    Advanced Certified Quickbooks ProAdvisor
    Advanced Method Solution Provider
  • 01-06-2016 9:30 AM In reply to

Hi Sixtel,

Fran did a good job of explaining this, but feel free to post back if you still have any questions.

Fran - As always, thanks for the explanation!

--Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)