Method Community

Extra Contacts for QB customers

Last post 09-01-2010 12:47 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-31-2010 12:19 PM

Extra Contacts for QB customers

Currently I have added 2 tabs to the customer list screen in Method to accomodate additional contact information.  Is there a better way?

Here's the situation in a nut shell.  We deal with Medical facilities (our "customers") each facility may have several physicians (contacts) and each physician has multiple numbers and sometimes coordinators or other people associated with them.

So I created additional tabs on the customer list screen and added to the table surgeon1; surgeon1cell; surgeon1phone; etc and then Surgeon2; Surgeon2cell; Surgeon2phone; etc.

This works and allows us to capture the data in Method but it's not easily searchable.

So... is there a better way?

Thanks,

Wavetec

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 08-31-2010 4:33 PM In reply to

Re: Extra Contacts for QB customers

Hey Greg,

Have you customized the Customer List screen? The reason I ask is that we added a "Add / Edit All Contacts.." button onto the default Customer List screen a few months back, and it does exactly what you are trying to do.

Import the Customer List from the Method Library and you will be able to see this feature. This feature is also built into our Advanced Search button, allowing you to easily search for either Customers or Contacts.

Hope this helps.

• 08-31-2010 5:33 PM In reply to

Hey Ryan,

Yeah, we have totally redone the cust. list screen.  I see the "add/edit contacts" button but it only sees the main contact and the alt contact info from QB.

What does it look for to be on the contact list?  Is it a specific table? How many can be on the contact list per customer?  If I can have more than just the 2, where do you view the list?  i.e. a user looking up contacts for a specific customer.  Can I make it a dropdown select list that populates the info for that particular contact?

I realize that clicking on the button pulls up a separate screen with all the contacts but I'd like to have a viewable list of names also on the main screen.

I'll look at the Adv. search button.

If this will do what I need, it would be nice if I could copy the functions of the "add/edit contacts" button from your screen and put it onto my custom screen.  This is a major issue for me in general because I have multiples of most screens (read only, save only, and delete) so when I make a change to one I have to go through and make the change from scratch to the others too.

Just a thought.

:)

GS

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 09-01-2010 12:47 PM In reply to

Hey Greg,

The contact list is its own table and has no limit to the number of contacts you add. The default contacts screen will allow you to add a number for Phone and Mobile. You could customize this screen to let you add more fields by placing more text boxes on the table, then add those fields to the screen. Remember that you would then need to update the Advanced Search section to include these fields when searching.

You wrote in your post that you wanted to have a dropdown that will show you a list of contacts for the current customer, this can be done. To do this, add an unbound dropdown to the screen and base it off of the contacts table. Once this is done add actions on txtchange for your unbound dropdown to replace the contact info. The only thing I don’t know, is where you want to place that contact information once you select the contact?

You could place a grid on the Customer List to show the contacts for the current user, doing so will add load time to your Customer List screen so I would not recommend it.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)