Method Community

Print out custom fields

Last post 03-12-2009 1:46 PM by Anonymous. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2009 7:29 PM

Print out custom fields

If I have created a screen that has a bunch of custom fields. i.e.: RMA #; PART #; Notes field for Reason Sent back; and customer info.  How can I Export this to a File that matches the current paper file we use to write in the info manually?  After I create this where is it stored?  Your server?  Do I have/need a backup?  Same question for all my custom Screens/Tabs/Etc. 

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 02-06-2009 1:07 PM In reply to

Re: Print out custom fields

Hi there!

Well, there's a couple of ways you can print off those custom fields.  You can create a report using Method Report Designer.  Reports are created as PDFs so you can then print them to your specs and save them accordingly.  You could also add a button that utilizes the Export to Excel action and then send your data to Excel for printing and saving.

As far as backing up your custom screens, tabs, etc., all data in your Method account is saved to a external server, which is hosted by Rackspace in Dallas.  Rackspace is well known for its high level of security and uptime.  You should still be backing up your QuickBooks database on a regular basis as well to ensure proper recovery, in the event something happens.

Hope this helps!

• 02-06-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

If I create a custom field, "RMA #", how do I use a grid to filter and search by that number?  Kind of like Activity has a grid that you can sort thru Activity or customer name or date or something.

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 02-09-2009 8:03 AM In reply to

You would simply add the field you created to a grid on your screen as a column (Step 2 of the Grid Wizard) when you're editing a grid's properties.  Publish the page and you'll see that the newly created column has a blank field for filtering at the top.  You can now search for specific records in the grid. 

• 02-10-2009 12:22 PM In reply to

: Print out custom fields

I have created the first part of RMA screen and it works perfect. thank you.  The second part I need to be able to list out multiple parts to be in one RMA.  The list needs to include lot #, Part Descrip, and qty.  I need to be able to fill out the first part with all the customer info and RMA # and stuff and then in the next section add the parts to a list that would be exported out to PDF with the RMA info.  I would also need this all linked together so when I click on an old RMA all the info would come back up.

something like this:

Serial / lot #      Prod. Desc.     Qty

12345-01          widget01           2

12345-02          widget02           3

12345-03          case01              1

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 02-11-2009 8:54 AM In reply to

Re: : Print out custom fields

Hi,

Consider taking a look at the Invoice screen as an example. You begin creating the Invoice by entering the customer and other basic info. In your case you may choose to select the customer, date and have the record ID be the RMA #. The process continues by entering Invoice details or line items in the grid that follows, this is where you should consider entering RMA details such as; Lot #, Prod Desc and Qty. You can enter as many detail lines as needed for the RMA. Finally, create your custom report and you’re all set.

You should be able to enter the customer and RMA info, add the multiple RMA parts, export the info and review any existing RMA’s.

Hope that helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-12-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

I have finished the report and all works well except for one area.  I created all the fields, added them to the screen, and pulled the data onto the report.  Here's the problem.  I created a parts list similar to the line items on the simple invoice, but it will only pull in the first line of data from the partslistgrid.  If I put QTY(2) Serial#(01-234234) PartDescrip(blue widget), I can pull that data onto the report just fine, but if I add QTY(1) Serial#(01-2342342) PartDescrip(Red Widget) as the second line in the grid, only the "blue widget" shows up on the report.  Is there something I have to change on the report in order to get it to continue down the grid and pull all the parts added to the order?

Here's the Report Table Section:

not sure if you can see the picture but it's the same setup as simple invoice:

Page Header Band and Page header info

Group Header Band and Group header info

Detail band followed by DetailReport Band followed by Detail1 Band

The Fields from the PartsGrid are here

Group Footer Band

Like I said it all works except that it won't pull in the second line from the parts grid.

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-12-2009 1:46 PM In reply to

Hello.  It sounds like this might be related to another forum posting we have.  To quote that post:

"It looks like this is a bug with the developers of the report designer component we use.  While we work to get a permanent solution, you can follow the steps below for a fix.

1.    Click on the Detail Report band.
    2.    On the right hand side under ‘Property Grid’ look for ‘Data Member’.
    3.    Notice that it is likely “….” between the PurchaseOrder and PurchaseOrderLine.
    4.    Manually edit the Data Member so that it is just one “.”.
    5.    Click Tab on the keyboard.  It may replace the “.”by itself with “..”, but that’s okay. 
    6.    Preview the report and it should now work."

Please give that a try and let me know what happens.  Sounds like it's the same issue that we unfortunately have no control over.  If this doesn't work, then we can see about taking it one step further. 

For reference, the details pertaining to the quoted forum posting can be found here: http://methodintegration.com/cs/forums/p/147/368.aspx#368

Keep me posted, please!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)