Method Community

Delete, Unique ID, and Locking down a report questions

Last post 03-25-2009 8:54 AM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2009 1:58 PM

Delete, Unique ID, and Locking down a report questions

I have a few questions.

1. How do i add an "are you sure?" option with a Yes/No to the the DELETE button?  I'd like to warn people that they are about to delete a report and make sure they are sure.

2. I want to use UNIQUE #s for 2 screens "call reports" and "RMAs".  The problem is the Call report # and RMA# are on both screens.  I want to require them to be unique only for the their respective main screens but it seems to error when I put it into the secondary screen.  Is there a work around or am I doing something wrong?

3. How do i lock down a report so when it's finilized it can only be changed/deleted by an admin?  I everyone else to still be able to read it but not change it.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-24-2009 10:50 AM In reply to

Re: Delete, Unique ID, and Locking down a report questions

Hello!  Here's some advice for you.

#1. To add an 'Are you sure?' message to the Delete button seems to me like you'll want to use the Show Message action which you can trigger on click of the Delete button.  The message can then warn the user that they are about to delete the report.  The message also gives you the option to use the Yes/No feature to either continue on or cancel the deletion.

#2.  I may need a bit more information for this one, but having two fields with the unique requirement on the same screen should not be a problem as the records are unique to their respective fields.  How are you entering the field's information on your secondary screen?  Via a dropdown? Dropdown with actions that call the value of an action result?  I'll need that type of information from you, if you can provide it.   

#3.  Reports appear as objects on a screen and are generated when clicked.  And you can assign who can design/edit reports via Tab Groups/Roles.  To do this you would go to Customize > Tab Groups/Roles and either check or uncheck the Design Reports box next to the appropriate Tab Group/Role.  If a user that is not allowed to design.edit a report tries to launch the Report Designer, they will not be granted access.

The next step to this would be to think about designing screens that are Tab Group/Role specific.  In other words, let's say you have just two Roles set up, Managerial and Non-Managerial.  And say you want all your employees to have access to 2 reports: Gross Sales and Net Sales.  You also want the Managerial Role to have access to two additional reports: Costing and Forecasting, but you don't want personnel in Non-Managerial roles to see them.  To do this, you would create 2 screens, one with all four report objects assigned to the Managerial role.  The other with just the Gross Sales and Net Sales reports assigned to the Non-Managerial roles.  Then, based on the user's assigned Role, they will only have access to the permitted screens.

Hope this helps!

• 03-24-2009 2:58 PM In reply to

Thank you for the response.

1. The Delete button I will try today. 
    2. As for #2, yes I’m using a drop down and calling it from the previous screen.  For example I create Call Report 001 and then it becomes and RMA.  I then go to the RMA screen and when I pull the drop down for Call Report Numbers I select Call Report 001 and it auto populates all the client information and complaint info into the RMA report and then they go on and fill our the rest of the RMA.  Then I go back to the Original Call Report 001 and add the RMA # that is now associated with it.  What I want is when a NEW call report is created that you have to have a new number, but when I checked the UNIQUE box I got errors when I tried to save an RMA with the Call Report # number field.  I assume this is because it was the same number on both Screens.  When I Unchecked UNIQUE the error went away.
    3. I may have misspoke on #3.  What I meant was when a Call Report RECORD is created and finalized can we lock that so no one else can go back and change the date or complaint or something?  I’m not worried about them REDESIGNING the report.  I’m worried someone may pull up and old report to look at the accidentally erase the “complaint” section.  Any thoughts?
    Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-25-2009 8:54 AM In reply to

No probelm!  It's my pleasure to help out.  Here's some additional info...

1. Great.  Let me know how the Delete button works for you!

2. Since you're calling the individual records from different tables, let's say the CallReport table and the RMA table, each table has it's own unique RecordID that you can use to call upon a specific record. And to me it seems that it's the RecordID that you are using for your Call Report # and your RMA # (Please correct me if I'm wrong).  So your Call Report # is actually the unique identifier for records in the CallReport table - the first Call Report RecordID is 001, the next 002, etc. And your RMA # is actually the unique identifier for your records in the RMA table - so the first RMA # would be say 001, the next 002, etc.  Make sense?

Are you requiring that the Call Report # be a unique value on the second screen as well?  If you're referencing the Call Report # on the second screen via a dropdown, it doesn't have to be a unique field on the second screen since the properties of the choices you'll select from the dropdown already are set to be a unique value.  Can you tell me what the error message says when you get it? 

3.  Oh I see... yes, I was thinking you meant locking a custom report via our Report Designer.  Sorry for the confusion. I would say that the easiest way to prevent someone from saving any changes to an existing Call Record would be to remove the Save and Save & New, Clear/New and Delete buttons from the screen where you currently view existing records.  Add a Create New Call Report button that uses the Show Screen in Pop-up action.  Then create a new screen (to go along with that Show Screen in Pop-up action) based on the same table - I'm assuming it's the CallRecord table. This is where you'll create new Call Reports, and here have the Save, Save & New, Delete and Clear/New buttons if appropriate.  I think it would be a good idea to have those buttons on the New Call Report screen so that way they can delete a record that they're creating right away so long as they keep the pop-up open in case of duplicate or erroneous entry, but to go back afterward to retrieve it for altering or deletion would be impossible. 

Or you can create the new pop-up screen and make all the fields on the original screen read only, still removing the appropriate buttons so as not to confuse your users.  That could be another solution as well, but you'll still need that additional screen.

Good luck in your efforts.  Sounds like you are really rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty!  We love that!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)