Method Community

Importing Leads

Last post 06-05-2009 4:25 PM by DBMeador. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-25-2009 10:27 PM

Importing Leads

Does anyone know if there is a way to import leads into Method? 

• 05-26-2009 10:57 AM In reply to

Re: Importing Leads

Hey Dante

Are you using Excel or Access?? If not, what program are you going to try to import from?
     If it's MS Excel or MS Access, I Just want to let you know about the Method API tool for importing information from Excel Spreadsheets directly into Method! Just download the API Tool and follow the easy instructions. The Import Records API Tool can be downloaded from here:

http://www.methodintegration.com/documentation/MethodAPISample_ImportRecordsIntoMethod.zip

Once you open the file you will have the instructions for importing information. If you run into any problems while using the API please post your question on the forum. We will do our best to help you get the information imported.

Hope this helps!

• 05-26-2009 2:21 PM In reply to

Thanks Ryan, I'm using Excel. I'm going to try the import now.

• 05-27-2009 7:53 PM In reply to

• DBMeador
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Ellensburg, WA
    • Posts 5

Ryan,

I am attempting to follow these directions and am getting an Import Warning: 

Error from the MethodAPI at row 2: 

The number of fields (24) do not match the number of values (25).

I'm sure it's something simple...can you help?

Dale

Dale Meador
    Ideal Company
    Dale@IdealCompany.biz
  • 05-27-2009 7:58 PM In reply to

Dale - if you don't mind, can you email the xls file to method@methodintegration.com.  We could step through it for you and tell you what the culprit is.

Paul

• 06-05-2009 11:34 AM In reply to

• DBMeador
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Ellensburg, WA
    • Posts 5

Ok...bringing the off set discussion back to the forum...Smile

After emailing the list, here is Ryan's response:

Dale,

Paul sent me the spreadsheet you submitted for us. It looks like some of the column headings are not actually fields on the table you’re trying to import to. You need to create these fields on the table before you will be able to import them. Go over your information that you want to import and confirm that you have a field on the table for each column.

Ryan Bell

Business Systems Consultant

Method Integration

I have double checked my fields and can't find one missing, however am still getting the same error as before.  Here is a table of the column headings in my list I'm trying to import.  They seem to all be there...what do I try next?

Number

Field is contained in DB?

Field Name

Yes

LeadSource

Yes

ParentEntityName

Yes

CompanyName

Yes

ShipAddressAddr1

Yes

ShipAddressCity

Yes

ShipAddressState

Yes

ShipAddressPostalCode

Yes

BillAddressAddr1

Yes

BillAddressCity

Yes

BillAddressState

Yes

BillAddressPostalCode

Yes

FirstName

Yes

MiddleName

Yes

LastName

Yes

GovPerson2

Yes

GovPerson3

Yes

GovPerson4

Yes

TradeName1

Yes

TradeName2

Yes

TradeName3

Yes

TradeName4

Yes

IsProfitCorp

Yes

UBI

Yes

IsActive

Dale Meador
    Ideal Company
    Dale@IdealCompany.biz
  • 06-05-2009 1:58 PM In reply to

Hey Dale,

The field your missing is the "Name" field. When you use this application you need to make sure you include all required fields. On this table your required to have the "Name" field. To see what fields are required go to the tables screen and open the table. You can see the checkmark for required. Try that and see if it gets the import working correctly.

• 06-05-2009 2:15 PM In reply to

• DBMeador
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Ellensburg, WA
    • Posts 5

Ryan,

I realized that after I posted the above, added the name field, and get the same error one number higher (25 fields, 26 records.)

??

Also, I've tried eliminating various combinations of columns to see if one in particular was causing a problem.  I got the import to work with the Name and LeadSource columns only in the table.  A word to the wise, however, once a record exists in the Method database, it doesn't like it when you try to import an expanded list with duplicate records contained.  I had to go in and delete all the records I imported before trying again.  There needs to be some type of "what to do with duplicates" or "check for duplicates and ask me what to do" or "import duplicate records yes/no" type of functionality built in to the API tool.

This is only an issue when importing a large list.  Best work around is to test import with only one or two records until you're sure it's working properly.

What should I try next?

Dale Meador
    Ideal Company
    Dale@IdealCompany.biz
  • 06-05-2009 2:58 PM In reply to

• DBMeador
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Ellensburg, WA
    • Posts 5

Ok.  Figured it out.

Problem:  There were comma's contained in one, and in some cases, two fields.  The comma creates a separate record.  This was a problem in both the Name field where I was entering them as "Last, First" and in the Company filed where there some listings such as "ABC Company, LLC".

Solution:  Remove all comma's.  This is mildly annoying in the name field as we like to sort our customer lists by last name and not having the comma makes this confusing.  I simply re-entered as "First Last" and we'll get by.  Is there a work around for this limitation? 

Dale Meador
    Ideal Company
    Dale@IdealCompany.biz
  • 06-05-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

Hey Dale,

Are you using the new spreadsheet that we sent you? This should have allowed you to use the comma.

• 06-05-2009 4:25 PM In reply to

• DBMeador
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Ellensburg, WA
    • Posts 5

I was not using the spreadsheet you sent me.  I tried doing so just now and got the same error.

Dale Meador
    Ideal Company
    Dale@IdealCompany.biz
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)