Method Community

Only 50 items in a dropdown list

Last post 06-08-2009 3:58 PM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2009 11:24 AM

Only 50 items in a dropdown list

I created a "Call Report" screen and it has a GRID of all the Call Reports.

Then I created an "RGA" screen and put a "CALL REPORT" Dropdown that attaches to the "Call Report" GRID.  When you click the dropdown to select a Call to reference, it only has up to call 50 and no way to page or skip to the next set or something.  I know you can just put in "70" and it will show you only that Call # but is there a way to change the 50 item limit on a  dropdown?

Thanks, 

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 05-29-2009 8:46 AM In reply to

Re: Only 50 items in a dropdown list

Hi Greg,

You are right, by default the maximum number of items that can be displayed in a dropdown list is 50.  The reason behind this is page load time. For example, if you had a list of call numbers and you wanted to get to the items containing '70' you would start to type and items containing those numbers will filter to the top as you type.

In essence, as you type, each key stroke makes a ‘call’ to the Method servers and quickly sends info back displaying in this case the top 50 matches.  As a result, a dropdown displaying hundreds of items would slow down the dropdown response time. 

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to display more than 50 items?

• 06-05-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

Is there a way to have the drop down list sort the list from Z to A, in reverse order?  This particular list is for "Call Reports", we only need to see the last few Reports on the dropdown list.  but it shows reports 1 - 10 up to 50.  I'd rather have reports 99 - 89 down to 50, because the first 50 will be old and closed.  We need to see the most current call first.  I did not see a "sort" in the custimization screen.

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 06-08-2009 1:36 PM In reply to

Hi Greg,

You are right there is no way to sort in a reverse order.  This is something we will definitely consider for future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

• 06-08-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

Hi Greg,

An alternative you may want to consider is adding an “IsActive” field in the CallReports table, and then filtering the dropdown by that field.  That way all the inactive reports wouldn't even show up in your dropdown :)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)