Method Community

user add to dropdown list

Last post 06-08-2009 12:24 PM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2009 12:13 PM

user add to dropdown list

I have created a table for a drop down list of "users".  This is on our custom call report screen.  I have gotten a request to be able to change to "a different name" instead of one of the one's on the list.

Also can I filter the drop down list to only show "Field Service Engineers" instead of all users?  I'm using the system "users" table for this list.

thank you,

Wavetec

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 06-05-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

Re: user add to dropdown list

Hi Greg,

I need some more information in order to properly understand your situation. Can you please elaborate more on what you mean when you say "a different name" instead of one of the one's on the list? Are you looking to add / edit the names on the dropdown choices? If so this can be done by going to the Customization tab under the Users tab link.

How do you identify your Field Service Engineers? Do you assign them to a specific role called "Field Service Engineers"? A tip to point you in the right direction; you can add a field to the Users table and call it ‘UserType’ for instance. Then you can filter the dropdown in the dropdown properties to show Users where ‘UserType’ is equal to ‘Field Services Engineers’ as an example.

Keep me posted and I’ll get back to you.

• 06-05-2009 2:08 PM In reply to

What I want is to have a user be able to add to the drop down list.  currently it comes up with a list of users i have put into the system.  If for some reason, a different name needs to be put in that section then I want the user to be able to override the list and just type in a name.  is that possible?

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 06-05-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

It's your built in "user" table so I wasn't able to add "UserType" to it.

:(

All the Field Service Engineers are in the "FIELD SERVICE" Role.  Can I sort by that?

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 06-08-2009 12:24 PM In reply to

Hi Greg,

An option that may work for you is adding a 'button click' action.  Basically this will add a button-like icon with 3 dots next to your drop down. If you click on it you can set it for a pop-up window to appear and you can then add a new user. When setting this action you are calling the screen where you can add/ edit users in the pop-up. To do this you will need to edit the dropdown properties for that field and add the action. Let me know if this option works for you.

In your case it would be best to add a field to your User table and then use that as your filter. You should be able to add a field to an existing Method table. What steps you took? Try going to the customize tab and click on the Table/ Field tab link then scroll down to the desired table and click "Edit Fields..", there you should be able to add a field, please keep in mind that spaces are not permitted in the name; in your case "UserType" should be fine. Sorting by Role in a dropdown wouldn't work because currently we cannot use the users 'Role' as a value for the filter.  Let me know if you are still unable to add a field.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)