Method Community

Programmatic SQL access

Last post 06-26-2012 4:19 PM by Jason_L. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-26-2012 2:54 PM

Programmatic SQL access

As part of our business plan, we are devloping a java applet that will be run atuomatically and needs to write to our SQL database directly, without human interaction. Therefore, we need to be able to connect with the database directly. We're using Java and the JDBC standards. I've found the correct MS SQL driver for the database, but I'd like to know how I can directly access and write to SQL without going through the UI or the MethodAPI, since that is written for MicroSoft languages. I'm really trying to avoid using a Java/Quickbooks bridge, and just write directly to SQL. Can you give me ideas on how I can do that? I will need some things that can't be posted in the forum (our specific database url, what I can use for username and password, etc.). However, if you want or can give me some general answers here, that would be great.

Jason

• 06-26-2012 3:05 PM In reply to

Re: Programmatic SQL access

Jason_L:
    Can you give me ideas on how I can do that?

I'm going to move this thread to the API forum and I can say I don't think what you're trying to do is possible ouside the Method API.  From my knowledge there is no direct access to our database without going through the API.

• 06-26-2012 3:45 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Jason L,

We do not grant programmatic SQL access. That would be a severe security policy violation (among other issues....).

The synchronization between your method account and quickbooks is handled via the method synchronization engine. (You can read up on that in the documentation at http://www.methodintegration.com/self-service-documentation.aspx).

MethodAPI is a webservice (located at https://www.methodintegration.com/MethodAPI/Service.asmx), which you can use to manipulate data in your method account programmatically. The synchronization engine will handle moving the data you manipulate via the API between your method account and quickbooks.

Java can invoke and use webservices as needed. I suggest you google something like "java to call a microsoft webservice.", for examples of how to do that.

Dave

• 06-26-2012 4:19 PM In reply to

Hi Dave,

I think I can see a way forward from here. Thanks a lot.

Jason

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)