Method Community

Direct access to mssql server tables

Last post 02-19-2010 5:35 PM by lthames. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-10-2010 10:48 AM

Direct access to mssql server tables

Is there any way to gain read only access directly to the mssql server data (ie a connectin string) for development?

• 02-12-2010 7:36 AM In reply to

Re: Direct access to mssql server tables

With the MethodAPI you don't have direct access......but it is pretty close!  You are pretty much writing SELECT statements against the SQL data.  You have full control over which fields you are pulling in, and your WHERE is completely SQL format.

Have you used the API yet?  If not, you'll find it is pretty much what you are asking for.

If you have used it, please let me know what you are trying to accomplish and where the shortcoming is for you.

Paul

• 02-12-2010 8:34 AM In reply to

Paul,  Thanks for answering my question.  I am looking really forwrd to working with Method!

To answer your question . . . .No, I haven't used it yet.  The reason I asked about the direct access was because one of the things the client I am developing for is wanting to be able to use Access to design reports and queries on the data. I will be using the API to integrate that somehow, and I have some ideas about how to accomplist that. 

But I suggested that if there was direct access to the SQL server database, using the ms sql report designer would be an easier way to do what he wants, as he wouldn't need me to write anything to interface the two!

I was supposed to start working with the API yesterday but winter weather and electrical outages kept me from doing so.  I'll be jumping back in tomorrow morning.

Have a great day!

• 02-19-2010 5:15 PM In reply to

Sorry for not replying sooner.  I didn't see your reply.

FYI - Method has a report designer. It's pretty powerful.  I would say it is comparable to what you would get from MS Access reporting. 

.....Method can do a lot!

• 02-19-2010 5:35 PM In reply to

Thanks Paul . . it's OK for the delay.  But I'm glad you posted because I have a conference call with my client tomorrow morning and he'll be asking what I have found out.

To be completely honest I haven't spent enough time digging into anything to have an educated opinion of it . . . i bought a new computer last weekend and have spent all of this week getting my development software and applcations running under Windows 7.

But this is what my client is telling me . . . the report designer only allows relationships that are already set up by Method.  That was the limitation he didn't like. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)