Method Community

API "MethodAPIGetScreenURLV2" not working

Last post 05-03-2010 8:22 PM by Method_Paul. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2010 5:56 PM

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

API "MethodAPIGetScreenURLV2" not working

We are trying to use the API "MethodAPIGetScreenURLV2" to open a Method screen.   It is not working well for us.  It opens to the Method/Build ASsembly screen we asked for, but all the fields are blank, with no dropdown for selection.  
    Questions:
    1. Is this API fully functional, and IOTW may not be using it right, or is this API not yet fully functional?

2.   Will this API let us also log into Method, or do we need to login manualy or using another API before running this API?

I thought I could attach a file to this API posting, but since I don't see an attachment button, I will email it to both Danny and Paul.   The attachment Word file with show: 2 images, 1) the Method/BuildAssembly screen for item "Bicycle M5530" that opens ok when we manual
    ly log into Method, and  2) screen that opens with this url. Notice all the blank boxes.

Be glad to connect via GoToMeeting and provide me info and examples.  Thanks.

Dave Sakamoto
     www.InfoOnTheWeb.com

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
    Founder and CEO Info On The Web
    Dave.Sakamoto@InfoOnTheWeb.com
  • 04-26-2010 7:29 PM In reply to

Re: API "MethodAPIGetScreenURLV2" not working

Dave -

The API call works as it is intended.

The URL you provided in your email needs to be HTML decoded.  So where you see "&" in the URL, you need to do an Server.HTMLdecode to convert it to "&".  This is pretty standard if you are receiving and sending data via XML.

Please note, however, that the screen will only open up if the user is already logged into Method, as this will use that security token from that session.  If they aren't currently logged in, it will not automatically log them in and create a new security token. i.e. it does not log a user in who is not already logged in.

I hope that helps,

Paul

• 04-30-2010 12:03 AM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Paul,
    Thanks for the reply and info.  

The purpose of an API is to enable developers to perform functions without having to manually log in.  Requiring manual login into Method before this API can run appears to me it defeats the whole purpose of the efficiency of APIs.   Please explain why you decided to require manual login.  Any chance this requirement can be removed?

Dave

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
  • 04-30-2010 5:00 AM In reply to

Dave -

The purpose of the Method API is provide developers with a way to access the data in Method, as well push data into Method.  This allows developers to create *their own* user interfaces, using *their own* code, and have that interface interact with Method.

The purpose of the Method API is *not* to provide developers with a way to re-use the interface in Method. The MethodAPIGetScreenURLV2 is the *only* call requring a login, since it is the only call that lauches a Method screen from the Method UI.

Best practice would be for a developer making a 3rd party application to create their own UI in their own application, and use the Method API for data exchange only.

Paul

• 05-03-2010 8:05 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Paul,
    I agree and I am using Method API to access data in Method and push data into Method directly from my web apps.    I came upon one situation in ItemInventoryAssembly (IIA) where if I make edit changes such as add new parts to an IIA item, the changes do not sync to QB.   Apparently the IIA edit changes and sync is a 2 step process.  Only way to get the IIA edit changes to sync to QB is to manually click the Method's IIA screen's SAVE button.

If Method can create a new API to simulate clicking the IIA SAVE button, then I can build that into my apps and UI, so no need to log into Method/IIA screen and click the SAVE button.

See attached image of the IIA screen with the SAVE button that needs clicking circled.
    Here's the url: www.infoontheweb.net/qb/docs/Need_API_SAVE_button.doc 

Let me know if you already have an API or other solution.  If not, when Method can add that new API.  Thanks.

Dave

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
  • 05-03-2010 8:22 PM In reply to

Dave -

This would work similar to a invoice or other transaction that has line items. First you add and modify the line items, then you save the invoice using the SendToDesktop API call.

In this case first you modify the ItemGroupOrAssemblyList.  Then you use the SendToDesktop API call on the ItemInventoryAssembly table, which simulates the "Save" button in your picture.

Paul 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)