Method Community

Is there a Build Assembly Copy/Save As feature in Method?

Last post 07-16-2010 9:48 AM by Anonymous. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2010 2:09 AM

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Is there a Build Assembly Copy/Save As feature in Method?

Is there a Build Assembly Copy/Save As feature in Method?  For example lets say there is an existing Build Assembly item "Bicycle Model 1000" with 500 parts.  Client wants to create a new BA item called "Bicycle model 2000" with the same 500 parts except 20 parts will be different..  

Can they do a Copy/Save As, to copy Model 1000 and save as Model 2000? 
    (they would later edit the parts in Model 2000)

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
    Founder and CEO Info On The Web
    Dave.Sakamoto@InfoOnTheWeb.com
  • 04-28-2010 7:33 AM In reply to

Re: Is there a Build Assembly Copy/Save As feature in Method?

Dave -

Don't you mean ItemInventoryAssembly?  You can't create a BuildAssembly for an item that doesn't already exist as an ItemInventoryAssembly in the QuickBooks item list. So you would really want to be making a SaveAs of an ItemInventoryAssembly, no?

Before you try to figure out how to do it in Method, how would you manually do the same thing in QuickBooks?  Once you know how you would manually do the same thing in QuickBooks, you'll be able to follow the same steps in creating an automated process in Method.

Paul 

• 04-29-2010 11:58 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Paul,
    Yes I mean ItemInventoryAssembly.  I just call  it BuildAssembly (BA) for short. 

Thanks for the reply that Method does not have BA Copy/SaveAs, and QB does not have that feature either.  

Its common for QB users to have a BA item with 200+ parts.  If they need a similar BA Item but just change a few parts, they now have to create a new BA item and manualy enter 200+ parts.  Info On The Web (IOTW) has created a custom app that does BA Copy/SaveAs.  No more wasteful manual duplicate entry.   This is just one of many missing time saving solutions IOTW will be creating them.  These will open new market to MethodIntegration.  If you're interested to see it in action let me know.

Dave

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
  • 04-30-2010 5:26 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

That's great that you put in new functionality.  That's what great about the developer community we enjoy fostering with Method.

I'm interested to know about the functionality you added, as I am sure other solution providers will be who have clients who manufacture - how is your functionality different from simply right-clicking on an ItemInventoryAssembly in QuickBooks and choosing the "Duplicate" option?

Also, I just want to clarify for others reading the thread (so that we don't confuse anyone with terminology).  An ItemInventoryAssembly in QuickBooks and Method terminology is *not* the same thing as a BuildAssembly.  In QuickBooks and Method terminology, a BuildAssembly is the transaction used to create more stock of a specific ItemInventoryAssembly.

Thanks again, Dave, for your involvement.

Paul

• 05-03-2010 5:04 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Does Method offer ItemInventoryAssembly Duplicate feature?

Hi Paul,
    Info On The Web (IOTW) is working on several web and mobile custom QB solutions, one of them is adding add'l capabilties to ItemInventoryAssembly (IIA).   Until you mentioned it in your last message, I and other QB Consultants I've been working with did not know QB already had that IIA/Duplicate option.   Now we do, so we can move on to other custom solutions.

I need to still test out this QB IIA/Duplicate option, as we've ran into some odd things happening , such as once we duplicate and build some items, if we change the parts, then we run into odd results from QB. 

Question:  Does Method offer this IIA/Duplicate feature, and if so from which Method screen does it duplicate?

Thanks.

Dave

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
  • 05-03-2010 8:12 PM In reply to

Re: Does Method offer ItemInventoryAssembly Duplicate feature?

Hi Dave -

We don't currently have an "Duplicate" buttons on items.  We have them in other places, like on the Opportunties screen for example.  

If we were to do it, we would just stick a button on the Method version of the Item Inventory Assembly screen that comes from the Item List.  We have no immediate plans to add that button, and if we did, it would be pretty basic, just like QuickBooks.  I imagine there is room for a developer to take that idea further and have a more elaborate process and market it as an app.

Paul

• 07-15-2010 3:32 PM In reply to

I just signed up yesterday and am using Quickbooks Pro 2010 which does not support inventory assembly items. From your message it looks like there is no way I can use Method for MRP calculations, correct? It's definitely not worth the money for me to upgrade to Quickbooks Premier.

I spent 30 minutes trying to watch the webinars and had little luck. I'm on a Mac and Flip for WMV won't play them, I tried playing them in Firefox and Chrome, no luck, also tried playing with Windows Media Player in Windows 7 with the Gotomeeting codec installed, no luck. Then downloaded a 3rd party player (Media Player Classic) to use in Windows 7 and it barely plays, takes 3 seconds to play 1 second. I'm very experienced with codecs and I give up trying to get the webinars to play.

• 07-16-2010 1:32 AM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Hi CJonesy20,
    Although QB Pro does not have Build Assembly, my company "Info On The Web" has added quite a few custom Build Assembly  features to it using Method as backend to our web and iPhone/Mobile apps.  I would be glad to spend some time with you to see if the combination of our custom apps and Method can make it work on QB Pro.  You can reach me at dave.sakamoto@infoontheweb.com.

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
  • 07-16-2010 9:48 AM In reply to

Hey Chris,

Welcome to Method!

Although it is possible to add Assembly Items in Method, this will cause problems when Method tries to sync with Quickbooks. Our official answer is if you want to take advantage of our MRP calculator, you will need to update your Quickbooks to a version that supports Assembly Items.

If you attempt any workarounds, we will not be able to support any problems that come up.

Mac users are only able to view the webinars if they are recorded with the Windows Media Player codec. Currently when we do our webinars, we record using the GoTo Meeting Codec, therefore Mac users will not be able to view them. We use the GoTo Meeting Codec because the other options leave the media file too big for users to download or stream.

I know only of one user who cannot view the webinars with Windows 7, our own staff are able to view them with windows 7 with no problem. I would recommend contacting GoTo Meeting to get more assistance with viewing a webinar.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)