Method Community

Adding/editing fields in Email Template- Where can I find the Character Function Command?"

Last post 11-07-2013 5:32 PM by Method_Adam. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2013 11:31 AM

Adding/editing fields in Email Template- Where can I find the Character Function Command?"

Hello, I am trying to add my clients first and last name to populate in my email templates.  I have replaced the appropriate fields  to customer.fullname   however it is still not populating when i send the email.

I need help in completing this issue or help to find the "Character function"  Under which tab can I find the character function.  It is not an option while viewing my email template. 

Please advise

• 11-07-2013 12:59 PM In reply to

Re: Adding/editing fields in Email Template- Where can I find the Character Function Command?"

Hi Tiffany,

Can you tell me which screen and email template this is for.?  The character functions for the merge fields may already be in the actions depending on the screen you are in.  Different screens will have different character functions. For instance you'll find character functions for the case merge fields on the Cases screens but not anywhere else as they won't apply there. Since you merge field looks correct, its possible the Customer table is not being used on the screen.

Its possible you could find the same value in another table instead of adding the actions for the Customer table merge fields.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 11-07-2013 2:42 PM In reply to

Re: Adding/editing fields in Email Template- Where can I find the Character Function Command?"

Hello, I am using the invoice notification email template.  I just want their first and last name in the subject and body of the email as standard.

• 11-07-2013 4:11 PM In reply to

Hi Tiffany,

Unfortunately, there isn't a merge field for the Customer table already in the Save & Email button for the Invoice screen. This is why your field doesn't show correctly. What you'll have to do is add in two character function actions (one for each the body and subject of the email) to replace the merge fields for the Customer table.  Here is a screen of what one would look like (this one is specifically for the email body):

What you'll notice here is the Select value is getting the resultEmailBody action result. If you'll want to add these merge fields to the subject also, you'll need to create another action for the subject. Also, the "Locate using RecordID" is pointing to the action result "resultEntityRecordID".  This is a value that is set in action #39 which gets the recordID for the customer. This is used to locate the proper customer record in the table.  You need to make sure that the Character function is after this action to ensure the action result has a value.

I hope this helps.  Please post back here if you have any additional questions.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 11-07-2013 4:39 PM In reply to

Hello, how can i get to the screen you displayed?  I have been in the home tab >then email templates.  However i don't have that screen you showed, where is that located.

Thank You

• 11-07-2013 5:32 PM In reply to

Tiffany,

Sorry my apologies.  You'll actually have to copy the QuickBooks_Invoice screen from Customize > Screens.  Then edit the copy and click edit on the Save & Email button in the Footer section.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)