Method Community

Actions: Grid Entry

Last post 12-23-2009 1:58 PM by Method_Valbon. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2009 12:48 PM

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Actions: Grid Entry

Goal: Adding data into a hidden field on a grid using actions.

My setup to reproduce errors: 5 Fields in Grid. Fields(1-4) are visible. Grid:Field1 is required in the table. Grid:Field5 is hidden, but also required in the table.

Field Data Types: Grid:Field(1-4) are plain text. Grid:Field5 is a Dropdown attached to the customer list.

Note: Both the grid, and the table it is based off of, are custom built.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statement true for the following (5) tests; Action Used = 'Enter Value Into Field On Screen' (Enter Into- Grid:Field5; Enter From- Screen:MyCustomer). Actions & Events used are executed from Grid:Field1.

Test1: Event:Select

Result: (Failed) - Selecting the grid cell failed to enter the screen's value into Grid:Field5.

Attempted: to select Grid:Field1-- Tabbed while cell was blank -- Filled a value in cell -- Tabbed with cell filled out. Grid:Field5 remained blank throughout the test.

Note: I'm not sure how this would have ever worked to begin with seeming as Select events are meant for dropdowns, where my Grid:Field1 is a plain text data-type.

//-- End of Test1 --\\

Test2: Event: Text_Change

Result: (Failed) - Changing text in the grid cell failed to enter the screen's value into Grid:Field5.

Attempted:  Filled a value in Grid:Field1 -- Tabbed to next cell with Grid:Field1 filled out. Grid:Field5 remained blank throughout the test. Also attmpted to click update, hoping the text change would be discovered prior to the push to table (this also failed).

Note:

//-- End of Test2 --\\

Test3: Event: Gain_Focus

Result: (Failed) - Selecting Grid:Field1 failed to enter the screen's value into Grid:Field5.

Attempted:  Clicked in Grid:Field1 in the new row -- Filled a value in Grid:Field1 -- Tabbed to next cell with Grid:Field1 filled out. Grid:Field5 remained blank throughout the test.

Note: Clicking update merely displays the error msg regarding required field (due to 5th field remaining blank).

//-- End of Test3 --\\

Test4: Event: Button_Click

Result: (Success) - Clicking [...] button in Grid:Field1 succeeded in enterring the screen's value into Grid:Field5.

Attempted: Use of button before and after enterring data into Grid:Field1.

Note:

//-- End of Test4 --\\

Test5: Event: Lose Focus

Result: (1part:Success / 1part Failure)

Attempted: Enterring data into Grid:Field1.(Success)- Hitting tab runs the "lose focus" event and correctly places the screen value into Grid:Field5. (Failure) Hitting the "Update" after typing a value into Grid:Field1.

Note: The "Update" actions are being ran before the "Lose Focus" event gets a chance to run. Following the idea that down press of the mouse button on the update button should relieve focus from the previous object, and the the up-ward release of the mouse button would then function as a "click" -- these 2 events are being run backwards of each other making it impossible to simply click update and having to abide by a "lose focus - then click" work around.

//-- End of Test5 --\\

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY:

Test: 1(Fail) - 2(Fail) - 3(Fail) - 4(Success) - 5(Succes With Workaround - Otherwise Fail)

Thanks for your time, and your welcome for mine :p.

~Joe

• 12-07-2009 3:36 PM In reply to

Re: Actions: Grid Entry

Joe,

Can you please provide more detailed information…just joking! Stick out tongue As always we appreciate your feedback greatly and will look into each scenario before updating this thread.

Thanks again!

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 12-07-2009 3:43 PM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Hi Val !

More detailed ? LoL ...

I think thaaat ... you shoud update after EACH test so i KNOW ur REALLY working on it! Stick out tongue LOL .. just kidding? o_o ...

Hehe .. thanks for the quick reply so I know its being looked at (^_^).

~Joe

• 12-09-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

NEW ERROR IN -- TEST# 5

If the 5th field is not hidden, the workaround works fine (losing focus with tab and then clicking update).

However if, the 5th field IS hidden, the event/actions run when you tab over - but when clicking update the following error occurs:

Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '115 Bourbon St.' to data type int.

Why the heck is it trying to convert my string data into an Integer when its suppose to be getting plugged into a hidden dropdown of customer name strings lol.

Does hiding a field magically make it an int value? .. nifty trick =P

----------------------------------

I think it would be wise to let one of the team play around with all the basic/advanced features and just see if they can get things to work under different setups / situations.

If anyone disagrees, feel free to point out where i signed up for "Beta" in my version of method =P

~Joe

• 12-23-2009 1:58 PM In reply to

Answer

Joe,

We’ve made an update. Try giving it another shot.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)