Method Community

Update table / Web Service Timeout

Last post 09-24-2010 4:00 PM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-20-2010 10:00 AM

Update table / Web Service Timeout

Hello,

I am a developer for an application in Method that we currently have in beta testing. To be a little more specific, this application lives inside of Method as a new screen, not a desktop application.

Currently we have 2 issues that I may need some help from the experts on.

1) The "Web Service Call" occasionally times out and causes an "Action Sequence:XX" error. Is there a way to either retry this or perhaps mask it to make it more friendly? I understand what this means, but I feel our clients are going to be discouraged. Strangely enough, this only ever happens on the first Web Service Call-- and only on occasion.

2)This one is a little hard to explain because I don't even know where to begin.
       Our application when first opened shows a login screen that connects to our web service. On this login screen there is a checkbox "Remember my login". Once the login button is clicked it verifies the password using the Web Service Call metioned above. Then if the checkbox is checked it calls an "Update Table" action to write the username/password to the application's config table the username/password. If it is not checked, then we call an "Update Table" action to write blank values for the username/password (Sort of like a "Forget my password").
       The issue we are having is with the "Update Table" action. Over the past week or two we've had two support issues where they cannot get past this first Update Table action when handling the "Remember my login". One of these two solved this issue by changing the security settings on their browser. They had also mentioned that right before they solved the issue the Username/Password fields were already filled in for just a single second with the username and password for their Method Solution Provider account, not their login for the application or Method company account. The fields quickly blanked, so they filled in the login for our application and they could successfully login.
       I can't seem to recreate the problem, which makes it extremely difficult for me to diagnose. I would like to not have this in our final product even if it is a known issue. I guess what I'm looking for here is advice on where to start looking. Is there something about the "Update Table" that could cause it to fail? Foreign characters, etc.?

Thanks,
    Brian

• 09-24-2010 2:15 PM In reply to

Re: Update table / Web Service Timeout

Hi Brian,

We're looking into this and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

• 09-24-2010 3:09 PM In reply to

Hi Brian,

We need some clarification from you before we proceed. Which 'Web Service' are you calling? What parameters are you sending?

For the second part, when you say 'shows a login screen that connects to "our web service"' are you referring to Method's web service? You mentioned that you are using 'update table' action on the login screen, is this login screen a custom screen you built? Since there is no way to edit Method's login screen.

Once you answer these questions, we'll have a clearer picture and would be better able to help you. Thanks in advance!

• 09-24-2010 3:23 PM In reply to

Hi Amanda, 

I am calling a webservice on our server. I am sending the username/password along with method's session variable.

The login screen is our first "tab" in our application. This is shown to the user before the other tabs become available. The update table is during the process that happens when the user clicks the "Verify Login" button I've created.

Thanks for your help on this!

• 09-24-2010 4:00 PM In reply to

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. Can you email me your account name? My email is a.mahadeo@methodintegration.com. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)