Method Community

Adding Drop Down to Screen w/ link to table

Last post 09-29-2010 9:08 AM by Anonymous. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-28-2010 6:17 PM

Adding Drop Down to Screen w/ link to table

I know I've done this before, because I have it working on a few different screens, but I can't seem to get it working for some reason.

I created a new table "CallCodes"

I added a Text field called "CallCodes"

I created a new screen called "CallCodes" and I added a GRID and refrenced the "CallCodes" table.  I added the CallCodes text box and a Save button and entered about 55 codes.

I added a dropdown to our "CallReport" screen and linked it to the existing "CallCodes" table. 

BUT, when I try to select the FIELD it only gives me the choice of RECORD ID and nothing else except a blank space.

I have another table with different codes set up just like this as far as I can tell and it works just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 09-28-2010 7:39 PM In reply to

Re: Adding Drop Down to Screen w/ link to table

I just ran into the same problem.  The answer is, that in the table you want to link to, you have to make the field you are linking to a "unique" field.  Then it will show on the list in addition to record id.

Patricia Hendrix
    Ten Key Business Solutions, Inc.
  • 09-29-2010 9:08 AM In reply to

Re: Adding Drop Down to Screen w/ link to table

Answer

Hi Greg,

Patricia is right, only unique fields would show in step 4, when editing the dropdown field. If you already started to populate that field then ensure that there are no duplicates and then make it unique. To make the field unique go to Customize > Tables and Fields, select the table and edit the field by checking the 'Unique?' column for that field.  Let me know if it works.

Thanks for your input Patricia!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)