Method Community

Help I cannot get my auto discounts to work!!!

Last post 11-24-2008 3:40 PM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2008 8:04 AM

Help I cannot get my auto discounts to work!!!

I have built some logic in the sales order screen using conditional statements to automatclly discount sales orders 5% when the subtotal reaches $1000.00. It is not working. I do not know what i have done wrong.

• 11-19-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

Re: Help I cannot get my auto discounts to work!!!

Hello again,

Well, once again we'll need more information.  At this point, we'll need to know the steps you've taken so far to try and get your discounts to take effect.  Which actions have you added, etc.? 

• 11-19-2008 9:26 AM In reply to

What I did was go to the sales order screen and edited the total amount field. I added a basic math function that stated that if the subtotal was greater  than 1000.00 then take 5% off. Then I added a condional stament with that basic math function.

• 11-20-2008 11:27 AM In reply to

We are still looking into this for you and will respond ASAP.

Thanks for your patience!

• 11-24-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

Hello again!

Okay.  Well I'd first note that you'll want to open the conditional statement first, then perform the Basic Math Calculation since the calculation is a function of the condition.  Then you would close off the conditional statement.  But my concern is really that you're trying to apply this action set to the Total Amount field with nothing triggering the action set to begin processing.  The triggers available on the Total Amount field (a text field) are:

1. Button Click - triggers the action set upon clicking the specified button or field.
    2. Lose Focus - triggers the action set after you tab away from the specified field.
    3. Gain Focus - triggers the action set as the cursor enters the specified field.
    4. Text Change - triggers the action set to begin as the text in the specified field is changed.

None of these triggers are really appropriate for what I believe you’re trying to do. Instead, I would recommend adding two fields. First, I would suggest adding another text field to capture the discounted price - holding it separately from the Total Amount field.  Perhaps you can add a textbox field with the caption, Amt after 5% Disc.  Then I'd also add a Button object so that you can trigger the Conditional Statement to begin processing with a button click. 

The action set for the button would look like this:

1. Start Conditional Statement (assigning the condition to be greater than or equal to 1000).
    2. Basic Math Calculation (enter the calculation, assigning the value to an Action Result).
    3. Enter Value into Field on Screen (enter the value of the Action Result into your new text field, per se Amt after 5% Disc.).
    4. End Conditional Statement.

Then you can apply the discount to the Sales Order by clicking the button and choose which customers receive the 5% discount. (Perhaps you have clients on contracts that may not receive the 5% discount, etc.)  If you truly require that this function be automatic and you don't wish to add a new field and button, you should consider adding the action set to the Save and Save and New buttons of the Sales Order screen, changing the value of the Action Result to go to the Total Amount field as you originally suggested.

Also it might be too late, but if you haven’t done so already, it’s always a good idea to copy the screen you wish to customize first, or you can always import the screen from the Method Library.  Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)