Method Community

API Limits - How to Manage and Coordinate API Processes?

Last post 11-09-2023 1:30 PM by Method_Inderdeep. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2023 4:19 PM

API Limits - How to Manage and Coordinate API Processes?

I help several different Method:CRM customers with their API integrations and one of them is having an issue where two different processes are separately using the API and one exceeds the limit daily and prevents the other from running. 

I want to coordinate the API calls and in order to do this I am trying to find out if there is a way to check what the current usage is for the day. Then I can check this and always ensure there are some available calls left for both processes. 

Please let me know how best to resolve this issue. 
  • 03-16-2023 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: API Limits - How to Manage and Coordinate API Processes?

Hi jamieroyce,

Thanks for reaching out to Method!

The daily limits are covered here in our documentation. Please review and let us know if you have any questions.

-Inder

• 03-16-2023 11:09 AM In reply to

Hi Inder, 

I have read that in the documentation and I am aware of that. But my question is - how do I check what limit we are at mid-day. 

Otherwise we have to blindly run our API process until we get an error and this is not optimum. 

It would be better if we could get the usage data in the response or have an API endpoint dedicated to give the current daily usage. 

Otherwise, having two separate API keys with their own limits would solve this problem. 

Any advice on this? 

Best regards, 

Jamie 

• 03-17-2023 1:47 PM In reply to

You should be able to see this on the postman tool when you make any API call. Please find the below screenshot and I have highlighted the area where that information is available. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 11-07-2023 2:05 PM In reply to

This looks like daily limits, is there a way to see the per minute transaction limits?

• 11-09-2023 1:30 PM In reply to

You cannot see that in the tool as it is set to 100 requests per minute per account. Below is the detailed information on how it is calculated:

For fair usage of our API, we have limited the requests on an account basis as follows.

• 100 requests per minute per account.
    • 5000 + [1000 * Number of Active licenses] (or) 25000 requests per day per account whichever is lower.

Example - If an account has 15 active licenses then the daily limit is 20000 requests calculated as 5000 + [1000 * 15]. If an account has 30 active licenses then the daily limit is 25000 requests, as the calculated value of 5000 + [1000 * 30] is 35000 which is greater than our maximum daily limit of 25000.

Once this limit has been reached, calls will return an error with status code 429. The response header will contain the number of seconds after which the limit will be reset. This rate limit is evaluated on a rolling window basis. Below is a sample response, that indicates that per day(24h) limit is breached and you should retry after 7200 seconds (2 hours).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)