Method Community

Formulas in Estimates

Last post 01-12-2011 9:03 AM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2010 5:58 PM

Formulas in Estimates

Hello,

I am new to this and maybe a bit ahead of myself in asking this question as I have not reviewed all of the videos but cannot find a thread regarding this. I am trying to attach estimated hours to each item and have a formula that automatically totals estimated hours for all items to give me a total estimate of hours across all items.

• 12-29-2010 12:14 PM In reply to

Re: Formulas in Estimates

Answer

Hi Phat Matt,

When you say "estimated hours" what screen are you referring to? Is this a customized screen that contains something like "Estimated Hours" custom field? If so, you can utilize the "Get Sum" action to sum up the total estimated hours, and then ensure to enable "Subtotals: calculate Subtotals for this column" under "advanced properties" in the Grid Wizard, given that this is a custom field you've added to the estimate screen.

Regards,
    Denis

• 01-03-2011 11:39 PM In reply to

Hey Denis,

I am trying to get the esthrs in the items table to generate on an estimate. I can get the field to show up in the grid but it is not carrying the information to the estimate.  Also, once I can get it to show up, I would like to add two additional fields. The first would be on the item table and be a custom one called "difficulty". The second would be on the estimate screen called "TotalHours" which does a basic math operation to multiply "esthrs" by "difficulty".  Also, could you reset my account for theagentsee? I have messed it up quite a bit in my learning process and am getting stuck on a few tables when I try to edit. It wont let me save and I cant delete the fields that are causing the problem as it says theyre tied to a table when they are not.

Thanks!

Matt

• 01-04-2011 1:54 PM In reply to

Hi Matt,

'esthrs' is a field that is by default part of the items table, however is not visible. This field (as the name implies) lists a static estimated hours value for a particular service. (i.e. You mow a lawn, which always takes an hour).

However, by the sounds of it, you are trying to create a dynamic "estimated hours" field on the EstimateLine table. To do this, you would need to first create an EstimatedHours field on the EstimateLine table and add it to the EstimateLine grid on the Estimate screen. This will create an additional "Estimate Hours" column in the ItemList grid.

In order for that column to be populated with the correct value though, you have to associate it to the selected item in the Item dropdown. To do this, you would add the following actions to the "text change" event for the Item drop down field:

1. Create an action result that retrieves the estimated hours from the item table, and

2. Use the Enter value onto field on screen action to update the "estimate hours" field you created with the action result containing the actual value.

Should you require any additional assistance, please contact our customization guru Michael Melo for paid customization support (subject to our hourly customization fee).

Regarding your request to reset your account, please flip me an email with the request, and we will initiate the account reset process.

Regards,
    Denis

• 01-10-2011 4:49 PM In reply to

Hey Denis, Got that to work and is calculating with a hours x difficulty level to result in total hours for each line item.  Sweet! Is there a way to create a series of actions that will enter a new line on the estimateline table and enter a labor line item? Then enter values into the cost field?

• 01-12-2011 9:03 AM In reply to

Hi Matt,

In response to your question, yes - the above is certainly possible, but really depends on what exactly you are trying to do. The action 'insert New Row into Grid' would (as the name implies) do just that. You can then use the 'Enter value into field on screen' action to populate the field with an action result, which is really the variable value from another location. Should you require more detailed assistance in setting this up, please contact Michael Melo, who is our customization expert and can provide you with step-by-step support for your specific requirements. Please note that we charge a consulting fee of $125/hour for this service.

Regards,
    Denis

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)