Method Community

Entering a bill - Job Costing

Last post 01-07-2011 3:13 PM by Anonymous. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2010 8:22 AM

• EvaC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-30-2010
    • Posts 3

Entering a bill - Job Costing

I notice that when entering a vendor bill, the option to code this bill to a job is available (just like in Quickbooks).  Is there a way to drill down a little further and code the expense to a work order (in Field Service App)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 12-31-2010 11:49 AM In reply to

Re: Entering a bill - Job Costing

Hi EvaC,

If I understood correctly, are you are trying to link the Expenses found under Vendor -> Bills to a work order from Field Services Center -> Work Order List?

Cheers,
    Denis

• 12-31-2010 12:49 PM In reply to

• EvaC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-30-2010
    • Posts 3

Yes - that's correct

• 12-31-2010 1:44 PM In reply to

Thank you for your response. Let me look into how this could be done and I will get back to you.

Happy New Year! Party!!!

• 12-31-2010 2:29 PM In reply to

Hi EvaC,

One thing I wanted to clarify: did you want to assign a work order to one single bill (easier) or to specific line items on the bill (a bit trickier)?

Cheers,
    Denis

• 12-31-2010 2:52 PM In reply to

• EvaC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-30-2010
    • Posts 3

I will definitely settle for the one single bill.

In Quickbooks, I have always pulled the expenses into the customer invoice because I coded them to that particular Customer:Job.  Since I am going to invoice Customers in Qxpress, I want to be sure that I don't miss billing for any cost incurred on a particular job so I need those expenses to show up on the work order as opposed to sitting in QB as an unbilled cost.

In addition, I was always able to run a report of unbilled costs/time by job in QB prior to sending invoices - again, just to ensure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks

• 01-07-2011 3:13 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Eva,

I wanted to get back to you with regards to how you would link the bills under vendors with a field services work order. In order to do this, I'd like to take a moment to explain what work orders are. Although they appear as "work orders" under the Field Services tab, these records are actually listed in the general "activities" table, that lists all activities across Method, and are given the property type "Work Order", but under the hood they are still activities. This is one of the key advantages of Method as it allows you to see all your activities in one single place.

What you have to do is modify the Bill table under Customize -> Tables/Fields -> Bill and add a work order drop-down field that retrieves the "comments" value from the Activity table, as "comments" is the actual name of the "Work Order name" field. Then you simply specify the appropriate columns that your drop down field pulls from the "Activity" table, and voila!

If you would like more help with this, please contact our customization expert, Michael Melo, and he will be able to walk you through creating this relationship.

Regards,
    Denis

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)