Method Community

Basic math

Last post 02-21-2011 3:33 PM by Method_Valbon. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2011 8:04 AM

Basic math

Try to customize a Estimate screen, I would like to perform some basic calculations within the estimate line grid. 

How do you perform calculations within the estimate line grid?

Thank you,

• 02-21-2011 9:38 AM In reply to

Re: Basic math

Im starting to work on the same issue and i found some information regarding this. I use to have qxpress desktop so i wil go back and forth from their online version and see if there is any information there...I found this from paul a few years ago:

"For the calculated field, I can put that on my list of blog movies I want to get done.  But in the mean time, it is pretty straight forward. You just right click on the table, click Add Calculated Field, then right click on the calculatedField1 and choose Edit Expression.  In there you can click on "Fields" and then double click on SubTotal, and then add " * 0.05 " to the Expression Editor.  Finally you can drag your calculatedField1 onto the screen."

He was talking about adding a new calc field to a customer. Hope this helps. As i learn more about this I will share with you.

John Mora

• 02-21-2011 3:33 PM In reply to

Re: Basic math

Answer

Hi Caliper,

There are different ways to perform basic math using grid columns. You can add actions to each of the grid’s columns using events like text change, gain or lose focus as appropriate. The key is to determine what will trigger the actions.

For example:

If I wanted to calculate column1 + column2 and enter it in column3 it would have to be triggered by something.  In this example you could add actions on lose focus for both column1 and column2 to do “basic math” and then “Enter Value Into Field On Screen” for column3. Use value from screen and select the grid’s column for calculations.

Another option would be to add similar actions for ‘update’ on the grid (steps 5 & 6 of grid properties) to perform actions each a user edits or adds a record. Start by looping through the grid allowing you to use the values from each row as you go through them for your “basic math”.

John,

Your advice works well for the report designer (or Estimate Template). I think the question above was asking about modifying the actual Method screen instead.

Hope this helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)