Method Community

Printing off a grid result

Last post 02-21-2011 8:53 AM by John M. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2011 10:14 AM

Printing off a grid result

Wowzers, back in the DOS days I use to program well but now, looks like my skills are REALLY rusty.  I looked for help here but could not find anything related to printing of grids.

I have a grid that is off the ActivityJobItem table. I set up my date range and what county the pesicide products were used. This gets me the data for the month in question.  My plan is to print that data into a report.

I set up the following actions in this order

1. Assigned Value to Action Result: I then named the result UseReportData and used ReportID field to store

2. Start Loop Through Grid: Starts the process of looking for the data. I did make it so it looks for checked items.

3. Character Function: This is where I am getting hungup. I am going to assume that this function will take data and store it in the action result UseReportData

4. End Loop Through Grid:

5. Create Report: The report prints all the records from the ActivityJobItems table and not the selected checked items from the grid.

What am i doing wrong? or is not the correct process to make a report like this?

Thanks, John M

Tongue Tied

• 02-17-2011 1:52 PM In reply to

Re: Printing off a grid result

Ok..I am starting to see the ways of how Method actions are playing.  I am looking at the Field services Print/email work order section and learning how your taking the information from that grid and printing work orders.

outher than my head feels like Tongue Tied pepsi will take care of that.

I do have a question about actions.  If I am saving a value from a action to be used later, where is that data? in memory or on a table?

Thanks, John

• 02-17-2011 3:05 PM In reply to

Hi John,

When you store a value in an Action Result it is only local to that action set. So if you store 123 in an action result in button 1, once button1 is done doing its thing the value in the action result is cleared. If you want to store a value that is outside the scope of just one control (Button, Text field, drop down, etc...) you can assign a value to a shared result. Values assigned to shared result are stored in the session so they hold information until the session is closed (close browser or sign out) or until you save another value in the shared result.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 02-17-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

Michael

Thanks for the responce.  When I needed to make a report in Access, i made a query up and based the report off new the table. (Im letting you know how im thinking about making reports up) Is there a query in Method that I am not seeing that can collect the data off a grid and then store that as a value so the report can use that value to print?

Thanks, John M

• 02-17-2011 4:33 PM In reply to

Answer

John,

If you take a look at the Print > Print Selected invoices button actions on the Invoice screen it should answer most of your questions.

Essentially the way it works is that Method loops through the list of checked grid items and builds a list of RecordIDs that will be used to create a dataset that is passed to the report.  So when the report is being generated it is being generated based on a subset of data.  The ‘query' would be the Filter Report section of the Generate Report action. In the Filter Reports section you can filter for specific records by using the Build selection list condition.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 02-21-2011 8:53 AM In reply to

Michael,

Works great, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks, John M

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)