Method Community

Bill items with blank billable field being marked as billable

Last post 07-28-2011 2:48 PM by Method_Michael. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-28-2011 1:36 PM

• GaryK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2011
    • Posts 18

Bill items with blank billable field being marked as billable

When we enter line items on a bill, we typically assign the costs to a customer/job but rarely do we mark them as "billable" since the costs are part of our contracted price.  We would leave that field blank instead of choosing bilable, has been billed or not billable.  By leaving it blank we assume as in QB's that it will not be tagged as a billable expense.  However, when the bill synchs with QB's, it comes back with that field as Billable (even though the field was blank when created and saved in Method).  Can we set up Method or QB so that Method will not change this field to billable unless we intended it to be so?

To test this I created a dummy bill, assigned the cost to a customer/job and left the billable field blank.  Once saved, I forced a synch with QB's and then looked to see that the bill in Method now showed the expense line item as billable.

As a side note, how does Method/QB's treat "has been billed"?  I do not see that as an option in QB (you check if billable and leave unchecked if not billable).

Thanks, Gary.

• 07-28-2011 2:48 PM In reply to

Re: Bill items with blank billable field being marked as billable

Answer

Gary,

QB requires a value in that field and by leaving it blank it assigns it a value. In QuickBooks (At least in my case) if I add an item to a bill it defaults Billable to checked. You could customize the screen and have it that as soon as you select an Item to fill in Billable? As NotBillable. 

HasBeenBilled exists within QuickBooks as well it just can't be seen; HasBeenBilled means that the item has already been processed.

-Michael   

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)