Method Community

Invoice Line Items

Last post 10-08-2012 2:56 PM by viret56. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2009 6:30 PM

• pholcer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-08-2009
    • Northern Utah
    • Posts 139

Invoice Line Items

Hello all!

I have a client who has discounts that he needs to apply to individual line items.

In testing his account, I'm finding that when I enter the charge and then move to the next line to bring up the discount item (20%), that it is not applying this to the line above as it does currently in QB. I tried to enter a quantity on the discount line as well to equal the dollar amount of the above line item (not the best scenario but was looking for a work around). This did not work either. Method kept it at quantity = 1 which reduced the invoice by 20.00 rather than 20% of the line item.

Thanks!!
    Phillip

Phillip Holcer

help@myanchorsolutions.com
    www.myanchorsolutions.com
    Anchor Tax Plus LLC
    PO Box 266 Tremonton, UT 84337
    (435) 553-4TAX

• 06-09-2009 3:43 PM In reply to

Re: Invoice Line Items

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the post!  We have actually been working on getting the percentage discount for line item up and running correctly.  It will be going out with our next update so please try it out within the next couple of days and it should be working fine.   We appreciate your feedback :)

• 10-08-2012 10:58 AM In reply to

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

It has been several years and I have run into the same problem.  TIn QuickBooks, the Disount line item calculates the % discount based on the line above it. In Method, the % discount is calculated based on the total of all the line items.  I cannot think of a way to work around this so that the Discount line item is consistent between QuickBooks and Method.

I am asking the Method team to revisit this issue to see if the percentage discount is working properly.  If there is a work around, I am interested in knowing what others have done.

• 10-08-2012 1:29 PM In reply to

viret56:
    In Method, the % discount is calculated based on the total of all the line items.

Hi viret56,

Which screen are you looking at?  I just tested my invoice screen and I can apply a discount per line item - see my screenshot below:

Method is not calculating that discount based on the total invoice, it's based on the line above.  

~C

• 10-08-2012 2:03 PM In reply to

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

Chad,

I was causing my own problem.  The users of the system wanted to insert line in the middle of the list, as QuickBooks allows.  Since Method only allows adding lines to the end of the list, I tried adding a sort column to the grid (n both the Estimate and Sales Order screens).  This works well enough for ordering the line items, but now I see the Disount and Subtotal line items depend on the original order of the lines.  (I guess I will be removing the sort column and force the users to delete and reenter items if they must correct the order of entry.)

So I find the Discount line item calculates the correct percentage from the line item above, except for the Subtotal line item, which has a value in the Rate column, but not in the Total column.  In QuickBooks we use the Subtotal line item to apply a discount to a group of items.  Is there any way you could get the Discount line Item to work on the Subtotal line item also?

~V

• 10-08-2012 2:36 PM In reply to

Answer

viret56:
    Is there any way you could get the Discount line Item to work on the Subtotal line item also?

It does now...

Even though the subtotal line has the total in the rate column, it works as it should when a discount line is applied.  

Is this what you're looking for?

~C

• 10-08-2012 2:56 PM In reply to

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

Yes Chad,

I have tested this on my system and I do indeed have a discount calculated based on the subtotal line.

Thanks,

~V

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)