Method Community

Grid filters

Last post 06-29-2009 9:14 AM by Anonymous. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2009 10:24 AM

Grid filters

I have been using a duplicate of the time tracking screen which I customized slightly for our company's use so as to not have to give employees access to the information contained in the Employee Center.  In customizing it, I set up a filter on the "Entity" field name called "Entity is equal to User Employee / Vendor Full Name" which I assumed would allow me to be sure that employees using the screen would only be able to see their time, and not anyone else's.  But when my partner began using the screen, his time was showing up, too.  I'm not sure how this can be with the filter set like it is.  Can you help explain that?

Additionally, there was a drop-down filter which I liked very much already built into the screen, called "Today's Time Tracking."  This allowed me to only see the current day's time, and was very useful.  However, for some reason it has mysteriously quit working.  I'm not sure why?

Thanks for your help!

Marcus
  • 06-19-2009 2:21 PM In reply to

Re: Grid filters

Hi Marcus,

I see you are getting your hands dirty with some customization, very good. In your filter, instead of 'User Employee / Vendor Full Name' perhaps try 'UserName' and see if that works.

We are sending out an update next week, after which you should be able to filter the grid using the criteria "Today's Time Tracking" on the time tracking screen :)

• 06-19-2009 3:26 PM In reply to

Amanda,

Your suggestion would be fine, but we are entering and assigning time to our employee records, which contain our full names, and I want to keep my user names simple - first names only.  Can you tell me why the filter I was applying won't work?

Marcus
  • 06-19-2009 3:50 PM In reply to

Hi Marcus,

The reason I suggested that you try User Name instead of what you had, is because it seemed like you were trying to filter based on the User (employee) logged in to that specific session.  Even though they are technically employees, in this case User Name would work since they are logging into Method under a specific Username and based on that login you want to filter what they see. Hope this helps.

• 06-19-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

Hi Marcus,

After reading over your post I realize I misunderstood your point. Actually what you stated in your original post would work but it seems like you were missing one step; to link the Employee/ Vendor / Other Name to the appropriate User under the User Settings and that should fix it. Sorry about the confusion.

• 06-26-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

Your latest post: "what you stated in your original post would work but it seems like you were missing one step; to link the Employee/ Vendor / Other Name to the appropriate User under the User Settings and that should fix it."

However, I have done as you suggested, and the grid is still displaying time entered by all employees.  Why would that be? I don't know how else to say this: the fact that I'm still wrestling with this problem and that the filters don't seem to do what they say they will is really becoming frustrating.  In addition, when a Method-created filter like "Today's Time Tracking" suddenly stops working, and there's really no explanation as to why, it's hard to feel like I'm working with a dependable product here.  I understand things break sometimes, but this really isn't making sense to me.  Someone please help me understand why the filters won't do what they say they are doing.  Thanks.

Marcus
  • 06-26-2009 5:00 PM In reply to

Hi Marcus,

I tested out the exact filter you described in your first post and it worked. There are a few things I would like for you to double check on your end.  Ensure that the filter you have customized for your employee is the default filter when they log in to the Time Entry screen. Make sure you link the user to the Employee/ Vendor / OtherName under the user settings to the correct individual.  If this still doesn’t work,  you can book some one-on-one consulting time with your Method Consultant and we would be more than happy to further investigate.

We did a major update a few weeks ago which allowed grids to be a lot faster, enabled multi-line edits in grid and incorporated a host of some other cool features. Unfortunately during this update the filter "Today's Time Tracking" was impacted.  This will be fixed during our next update which should be going out next week. I apologize if this has caused you any inconvenience.

• 06-29-2009 9:14 AM In reply to

Hi Marcus,

I just want to inform you that the filter 'Today's Time Tracking' has been updated and is working fine now.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)