Method Community

Portal URL magically changed

Last post 02-25-2012 12:38 PM by LaCrews. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2012 10:33 AM

Portal URL magically changed

Last night our customer portal said it was down for service for 10 minutes.  This persisted for more than 14 hours.

We made no changes to the portal settings.  However, when I looked at the URL in the portal settings it had changed and when I navagated to this new url the portal works as expected.

I have made the correction on our website all is working but I wonder if this has happened to anyone else? 

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 02-25-2012 10:49 AM In reply to

Re: Portal URL magically changed

Mark - can you private message me your old URL and new URL?  I can run some back-end decryption on it to see what the old ID was referring to versus the new one.

We weren't down last night, no server alerts, and no maintenance....what was the exact message you saw?

Paul 

• 02-25-2012 11:38 AM In reply to

Paul

Lucky for us that we are using source control.

Here's the old one. It was in a version from last night and earlier this morning. Its still giving this same message.

https://www.methodintegration.com/stage/ThirdPartyLogin/ThirdPartyLogin.aspx?pid=%2bDJB2Jo2hTNs847Z8qs7iTFKWuN6BklJgfH1wt%2fkokSpp5Vuf06JQ917hM5UPT50

You can get the current one here via the source view

http://www.lacrewsbspsecure.com/Home/CustomerPortalLogin 

Side note: This site is live but not yet annouced. We are still adding content but you can sign up for a Method Account. 

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.

What is Method?
  • 02-25-2012 11:54 AM In reply to

Answer

Ahh.  That explains it.

Regular live production sites have a "/method/" URL.

The new, up and coming, optional site is the "stage" site, at a "/stage/" URL.

You are using the /stage/ site URL in the login.  Your customers should always be given a /method/ URL.

The stage site is not always guaranteed to be up.  i.e. if only a February version is available, only the regular live site will be available at /method/.  But if we are staging the March version, /stage/ would become available again.

I think we need to do something smarter on our end if someone has a hardcode stage link, such as automatically redirect if the /stage/ site is unavailable to the always present /method/ site.

I hope that makes sense - I know having two simultaeous versions of Method can be confusing!

Paul

• 02-25-2012 12:08 PM In reply to

Paul

Yes, it makes perfect sense.  Having the two versions is wayyyy more preferable even if it means being a bit more diligent with certain details.

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

What is Method?
  • 02-25-2012 12:21 PM In reply to

Agreed - the benefits for everyone do certainly outweigh the costs of a little confusion.....and we're learning too about how to make the versioning less confusing.

We'll get that redirect in there shortly, so that nobody has to think or remember - it'll just do it for you automatically.

Okay, back to work on the gmail gadget.....(oops did I just leak out juicy details?)

Paul

• 02-25-2012 12:38 PM In reply to

Don't let me hold you up.Big Smile

Did I tell you that we were accepted into Microsoft's Bizspark program.  We basically get azure at no cost for three years and all of Microsoft's software.Geeked

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

What is Method?
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)