Method Community

Importing Bills

Last post 07-06-2009 3:30 PM by Method_Paul. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2009 9:34 AM

Importing Bills

Hello,

I am currently importing bills into QuickBooks using QBXML. We run payroll for our customers, query the data, convert to QBXML, and send to the customer for importing. I was told we could import bills into Method, and I am wondering if anyone has an example of one they have done.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

James

• 07-01-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

Re: Importing Bills

James -

We don't have an example of bills.  But there is an example of a web app that inserts an invoice.  You can get the sample apps here:

http://www.methodintegration.com/web/self-service-documentation.aspx

The idea is that you would use the MethodAPI Insert function to insert a Bill.  This would give you the RecordID of the Bill.

Then use the Method API Insert function to insert the BillLineItem and BillLineExpense values, referencing the Bill's RecordID.

Then use the Method API Send to Desktop to commit the bill into QuickBooks.

If you are used to VB.NET and web services, I think you could write this in a couple hours.  But I'm always an optimist.

Paul

• 07-01-2009 10:37 AM In reply to

Thank you for the Quick Response Paul! I was doing some testing and just noticed a problem. The bills we are sending are already paid (i.e. a $0 due amount). When using QBXML, I can import this with no problem. However, it appears that Method is not able to send a bill with $0 in the AmountDue field.

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks!

James

• 07-01-2009 11:33 AM In reply to

That shouldn't be a problem.  Method still uses QBXML in the back-back-back end.

We don't restrict bills from going to QuickBooks that are 0 amount due.

Just make sure you add the line items.  It won't send a bill that has no items or expense entries on it.  That is against the rules.

Paul 

• 07-01-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

Hey Paul,

Here is the image I received while in Method

0 Bill Not Importing To QuickBooks

Thanks!

James

• 07-01-2009 12:34 PM In reply to

Sounds to me like there is more to it that meets the eye (but thanks for the screenshot!).

I think you would get that if you total up all the Expense lins, and total up all the Item lines, and the sum is not 0 or greater.

Are there any negative expense lines or negative item lines in there?

Paul

• 07-01-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

Yes there are negatives on the Expense side. Basically they use the Bill to do Job Costing because we run their payroll. So they charge the accounts they need to based on a particular job's department and taxes. Then they withdraw the total amount from the bank account that pays those expenses. In this scenario, the bill will always total $0.

I think with QBXML, it imports because I am not sending the amount due. It is calculated in QuickBooks based on the expense and line items sent. Does that sound right? Does Method send the amount due on the import?

Thanks

• 07-01-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

James, so long as they total up to $0, it really should be fine.

Let me look into it from our end.  I tried an example of $100 positive, and $100 negative and it worked perfectly.  Perhaps with the number of items and number of expenses, it is getting upset somewhere.

I'll let you know what I find out, but in the meantime, keep moving ahead, because it really should allow a $0 balance to go to QuickBooks.

Paul

• 07-01-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

James -

Got a response for you.  It looks like an issue with the code using single data type instead of a double data type.  It's causing the number 12,345.67 to look like 12,345,670001 in the back end.  It's fine on smaller numbers, and never an issue when the bill doesn't total up 0. but in your case on totals over 3600 the comparision is off by -0.0001, triggering the bogus message.

We expect to update the platform on Friday morning, so you'll have the fix then. Shouldn't stop you from writing your Method API code in the meantime, though.

Paul

• 07-04-2009 8:33 AM In reply to

James -

Can you check it out on your end now?  It is doing the rounding properly for me now.

Paul

• 07-06-2009 9:36 AM In reply to

Hi Paul,

I tested it and it worked fine!

Thanks!

• 07-06-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

Excellent.  Thank you for letting me know. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)