Method Community

Report Designer - DetailReport Band

Last post 05-18-2012 2:31 PM by Anonymous. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-17-2012 3:18 PM

Report Designer - DetailReport Band

I'm having a couple issues.

1. I have a report with a DetailReport Band and it was working but after watching your webinars I went and messed with it and now it's not.  :) 

The simple question is I have a DetailReport Band that referrences a table and if there is 1 thing in the table I get 1 printout.  If there are 2 things in the table I get 2 printouts.  the report works.  It lists all the things in the table associated with that particular CALL but the print preview shows a page for ever line item.  (Same printout X times).

I had originally set it up as a DetailReport pointing directly to the detailtable1 NOT MASTER.detailtable1 and it worked.  Then after watching the webinar, I changed it to point to Master.detailtable1 and pointed the fields to the master.detailtable1 field.  This did not work and I got multiple pages with just the info from the first line in the table over and over on mutiple pages so I changed it back.  I changed the detailreport band back and changed the fields back and it now prints out the appropriate line items but as I said before, it now creates as many pages as there are lines on the table.  I'm not sure what I broke but it doesn't work.

2.  I also have another screen that has 3 different subtables associated with it.  I'm not sure how to use the bands to group them.  I've tried but I can't seem to get it to work right.

Here's what I need:

Header (company info)

General customer info (straight 1 field to 1 label box type stuff)

a header row for information labeling the table

a detailreport with multiple lines from a table (this needs to grow with multiple lines as needed)  

...(UP TO THIS POINT I'm FINE)

...(I would usually close all this with a group footer and then continue on with more general 1 label box to 1 field scenarios)

...but now I need to continue with

Other general info (straight 1 field to 1 label box type stuff)

a header row for information labeling the next table

a detailreport with multiple lines from another table

close that detail report

a header row for information labeling the third table

a detailreport with multiple lines from the third table

close that detail report

More general info (straight 1 field to 1 label box type stuff)

Then the page footer.

Can someone help me with how to lay out the BANDS so I get multiple lines from each table and only 1 page?  It doesn't let me start another "GROUP HEADER" after I've closed the first one and If I can't close the first one then everything just gets repeated over and over for each line on the table.

thx.

Greg

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 05-18-2012 10:21 AM In reply to

Re: Report Designer - DetailReport Band

Answer

If you're getting multiple pages per report the problem might be with the spacing on the detail band or the table you've linked it to.  I'm afraid I don't know the designer well enough to help on the second part of your question but I can link you to the DevX forums.

I find making multiple save points is extremely helpful espcially if you're building something complex.  We offer report designer consulting at a higher rate due to the complexity of each report.  If you get stuck and need some consulting, please feel free to reach out.

~C

edit: posted was edited to remove a link to MSDN report designer and update with DevX forum link.

• 05-18-2012 2:31 PM In reply to

Re: Report Designer - DetailReport Band

Method_Chad:
    edit: posted was edited to remove a link to MSDN report designer and update with DevX forum link.

My reply was updated with the following edit, sorry for any confusion previously.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)