Method Community

Importing Checks

Last post 06-28-2012 10:55 AM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2012 3:59 PM

Importing Checks

Hello,

I needed to import about 3000 check records into the table. When I did this, I was unable to import into the Amount field. The data was in my file, but the Amount field was not an option on the dropdown. I assumed this is because it would be populated from the CheckLine Amount. So I did that import successfully. However, when I look at the checks, the amounts are still 0. If I select the check from the grid & save it, the amount populates from the check line. 

I filtered the grid for only Non-Posted checks (which they are) and set up a Mass Update button with an action sequence on the Checks grid that goes like this:

Start Loop through grid>Select Active RecordID>Save Section>End Loop>Refresh Grid

It was running "healthy" for over 30 minutes, but then seemed to lock me out of signing into another account. Of the 3000 records, only 300 updated. Then I got an email from method saying that it stopped the process after 10 minutes becuase it takes up too much bandwidth.

Is there a way to improve my actions to decrease the amount of time it takes. And was my original assumption correct, that the Amount field cannot be imported to in the checks table, or is this something that can be fixed? 

• 06-23-2012 4:45 PM In reply to

Re: Importing Checks

Hi AutumnW-

My guess on the bandwidth is that you're refreshing the entire grid (all 3000+ checks) after every single change.  Try moving the Refresh Grid action to be a separate action that only happens after the whole loop is finished. If you want a progress indicator, add a counter variable, or display the active record ID so that you can see the progress through the table.

Hope this helps!

-Mary Longacre

-Mary Longacre
  • 06-25-2012 10:48 AM In reply to

AutumnW:
    Is there a way to improve my actions to decrease the amount of time it takes.

The tip above from mlongcare is great - putting the Refresh Gird action outside that loop will be a big speed improvement.  

From our side the message wasn't that the process will be stopped but that it will be monitored to make sure it doesn't affect other users.  What we don't want is for one user to continually run a process that takes a long time to finish.  If this was a one time batch update then you don't need to worry.  If this was a process you run several times a day then we may require you to update the code so we don't affect other users.  Your process should have run to completion so it did not fail on our side.  Please confirm.

AutumnW:
    And was my original assumption correct, that the Amount field cannot be imported to in the checks table, or is this something that can be fixed?

I'm going to have to do a little research on this part of your question.  I have not played with check records on my own account so I will confirm if what you're seeing is the correct behaviour and post back.

~C

• 06-25-2012 6:08 PM In reply to

Thanks Chad, I look forward to hearing what you come up with because I needed to do a similar import for deposits (only 400 records), and am now running into another problem.

I was able to import into the DepositTotal field without any problems. I also imported my deposit lines and all looks fine in Method. 

Then I did my QBD sync. Checks are all showing up, but the deposits are not.

I've done several Changes only syncs, I am not getting any conflicts and I can even see changes made to other deposits sync, but it still won't show my imported deposits. Any idea what could be going on or how to get them to show in QB?

Thanks!

• 06-28-2012 10:15 AM In reply to

Answer

AutumnW:
    Any idea what could be going on or how to get them to show in QB?

You're not going to be able to batch import checks (or deposits) in this way.  There's background processing that goes on to create the transaction numbers and link up these records, the import/export tool is just not meant to handle this type of thing.  

Try looking for a program called Transaction Pro Importer - this tool will allow batch imports of checks and deposits through csv files.

~C

• 06-28-2012 10:55 AM In reply to

Another suggestion for you is to use the MethodAPI if you have access to developers.  You can handle a batch import of checks and deposits in this way.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)