Method Community

Can you specify where you want a row to be insert in the grid?

Last post 07-16-2012 4:07 PM by VLocke. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-15-2012 7:48 PM

Can you specify where you want a row to be insert in the grid?

I can see how to insert a row and where you can specify how many rows to add.  It automatically adds the new row to the next open row below.  Is there a way to insert the row above the row your curser is currently on?

• 07-16-2012 9:41 AM In reply to

Re: Can you specify where you want a row to be insert in the grid?

Answer

VLocke:
    Is there a way to insert the row above the row your curser is currently on?

No, the Insert New Row Into Grid action will only insert a new row at the bottom of your grid.

~C

• 07-16-2012 10:35 AM In reply to

I'll throw in 2 cents here.

How the records show up in a grid is related to the grid sort order.  By default the sort order is based on record id.  So, when a new record is created it is generally shown at the bottom of the grid.  This can be altered by modifying the grid sort order.  

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 07-16-2012 1:41 PM In reply to

I appreciate you giving me another option, and that might be exactly what I need in another situation.  I maybe missing something here but I can't see how changing the sort order would allow me to insert a new row in a specific place.  It looks like it would allow me to order by Record ID or Item ID, etc. but still not my choosen insertion point.  Please go into more detail if you think I am missing something here.

• 07-16-2012 2:37 PM In reply to

Depending on the importance of the feature.  There are 2 different approaches you could consider. You could add a field to the table that would contain the sort order or you could insert a new record (higher record id) then you could re-insert & delete the records with the smaller record id.  The later would have the effect of re-sorting the grid.

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 07-16-2012 4:07 PM In reply to

If I choose to use the first option of adding a sort field to the table - have you used that with group items?  The client uses group items and in one template they need the detail printed and in another template they just print the group item name.  So I am wondering if this would make it a complex piece to figure out.  If they did not have group items or if you have worked with this using group items and it does not add a lot of complexity then it would be worth working on.  Thank you for your input.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)