Method Community

Linking field

Last post 07-26-2012 12:37 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2012 1:24 PM

Linking field

I have a field in the "Activity" table that I want to link to the "Invoice" table. How would I go about doing that? It doesn't work when I just link them to one another.

• 07-25-2012 3:49 PM In reply to

Re: Linking field

Answer

First you'll need to create a link to the Activity table from Invoices so open up the Customize > Tables/Fields screen and click on the Invoices table.

1. You'll want to Add a New Field and give it any name (this field just creates the link).
    2. Select the Field Type as a Dropdown and click Add Field.
    3. You'll want to select Choose from an existing Table on this screen and click Next.
    4. Select the Activity table on the next screen and click Next.
    5. The text field you want to select is the only choice, RecordID.  Click Finish.
    6. Next you want to Add a Linked Field and link using your newly created field from the previous steps.
    7. If done correctly, the linked field dropdown will show all the fields from the Activity table.

HTH,
    ~C 

• 07-25-2012 8:01 PM In reply to

I did all of the steps above but when I create a grid the field displays empty.

• 07-26-2012 12:37 PM In reply to

thesolarguys:
    I did all of the steps above but when I create a grid the field displays empty.

You've linked the tables but I'm not sure how you wanted to use this link because the data in these tables wouldn't normally relate to each other.  For example, you can add a link to the Contact field inside the Customer table from the Invoice table because each invoice is linked to a customer (and each customer is unique).  Linking typically requires unique, related data.

What are you trying to do so I can try to answer your question better?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)