Method Community

Export to Excel eats my data

Last post 08-14-2012 3:38 PM by Fred_D. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-11-2012 12:08 PM

Export to Excel eats my data

I have been exporting one of my Customer files to Excel for as long as I've been using Method.

Since June, Method is not exporting zip codes on new customers that I have added.  The customer was added in QuickBooks and migrates to Method and the zip codes are showing up in the table, but when I export the table to an Excel file the zip code disappears.

I "re-published" the table but nothing changed.

What's going on?

Fred

• 08-13-2012 8:32 AM In reply to

Re: Export to Excel eats my data

Fred_D:
    What's going on?

Not sure, I'll test the export this am and report back if anything doesn't look right.  Can you confirm which export tool you're talking about?  We've got the import/export tool from the Integration Tools area and the export to excel from grid action.  Please confirm the tool and table you're trying to export.

~C

• 08-13-2012 8:53 AM In reply to

Method_Chad:
    I'll test the export this am and report back if anything doesn't look right.

I just tested both the integration tool and the export to excel from grid action and both seem to be working fine.  Can you provide more details on the tool, grid and the fields you're trying to export.  I'll try to recrate the problem on my end.

• 08-13-2012 12:20 PM In reply to

After subscribing to Method last year, I set up a duplicate of my Customer table as a Membership table that I used to generate membership lists and generate membership cards.

Everything was running fine until June when I found that I could no longer export the table.  I fixed this by republishing (no changes were made by me) and running the "export to Excel" function.  Like I said, I did nothing to create this and assume it was a hiccup in your programming.

This table contains about 6,400 names.  I now find that when I export to Excel, the spreadsheet is missing the zip code of most of my new members since June.  I say most because I find it randomly adds some zip code, but all but a few are missing.

I don't have this problem when I export my Customer data to a CSV file that I use for printing mailing labels.

Again, I have made no changes and this problem started right after I had to republish my table because of something that happened on your end.

If you would like access to my account and run the files for yourself, just let me know.

Fred
    PS - I'm finding it difficult to use this forum.  My font is very very tiny and the first two lines scrunch together but I can't find the option to change my fonts.  I had to create my response in a text editor in order for me to see what I was typing.

• 08-13-2012 2:54 PM In reply to

Fred_D:
    I set up a duplicate of my Customer table as a Membership table that I used to generate membership lists and generate membership cards.

Are you working from a custom screen? Free support is limited to stock Method screens but what I can do is try to replicate the problem in my own account. If I see a problem then I can submit a ticket. I'll need to see a screenshot of the grid you're exporting. I want to see what fields you're including on the export. Once you have a screenshot please email it to me.

Fred_D:
    I don't have this problem when I export my Customer data to a CSV file

Based on your comment above I'm sure the data is there but the problem may be with the action used for export (or the export to grid function itself). Once you send in a screenshot I'll see how the export tool works against the fields you're exporting.

Fred_D:
    I'm finding it difficult to use this forum.

Thanks for your feedback - I've sent your comments to our team and will follow up once they've had a look at things.

~C

• 08-13-2012 4:34 PM In reply to

Just a few other troubleshooting tips, have you made any changes to the way you collect data in June?  We have fields for BillingAddressZipCode and ShipToAddressXipCode, is it possible you're entering data in the wrong field?  The export tool is working as it should so I'm thinking there may be a problem with the way the data is going in since June.

~C

• 08-13-2012 4:53 PM In reply to

All zip code data is input into QuickBooks when we set up the Customer's account.  From there it synchronizes into Method.

We never input customer entity data into Method.  We always use QuickBooks to set up customer accounts.

The zip code data appears the Customer table.  The membership tables takes it's data from the Customer table.  We have made no modifications.  Everything had been working fine since we started paying for Method. Now it doesn't.

Fred

• 08-13-2012 5:03 PM In reply to

Fred, if you're able please send in a screenshot of the grid you're exporting so I can replicate the scenario.  The export tool is working from what I can see but I want to make a copy of the grid you're looking at to confirm.

~C

• 08-13-2012 5:13 PM In reply to

Also - you say on some customers after June it works on, but on other customers after June it doesn't?

Is there anything different about their account in terms of what data is entered? For example, on the ones that it does work on, do you have both the ShipTo and BillTo address entered, whereas the ones that it doesn't work on only have the BillTo address entered?  Since there are two addresses, it's important to know which data field you are exporting from, and that there is data in the right field.

Paul

• 08-13-2012 5:29 PM In reply to

i haven't made a screen shot in several yeas and it was several versions of Windows ago.  I'll try and get one to you.

Fred

• 08-13-2012 5:31 PM In reply to

Nothing is different in how data is entered into QuickBooks, unless they changed their formatting.  In our database, BillTo and Ship to are always identical.

Fred

• 08-14-2012 8:57 AM In reply to

Fred_D:
    i haven't made a screen shot in years...

Hi Fred, if you're on XP the directions for a screenshot can be found here.  And for Vista/Win7 they're located here.

• 08-14-2012 2:00 PM In reply to

Thanks!  What specifically do you want a screen shot of?

Fred

• 08-14-2012 2:19 PM In reply to

Fred_D:
    What specifically do you want a screen shot of?

I wanted to see the grid you're trying to export - my testing produces no problem in the exports but I don't know what your grid looks like so I was hoping you could take a screen shot of what you're trying to export.  I'm hoping to recreate your grid, run the same export myself and see maybe a specific combination of fields causes a problem.

~C

• 08-14-2012 3:05 PM In reply to

Sorry to not understand, but what you do mean by "grid"?

Fred

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >